German exchange student killed. Montana SYG law

orpheus
About me: The name is Epictetus. Waldo Epictetus.

German exchange student killed. Montana SYG law

Post by orpheus » Thu May 01, 2014 9:49 am

International outcry. Officials demand justice.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/german-offi ... n-montana/

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Re: German exchange student killed. Montana SYG law

Post by Svartalf » Thu May 01, 2014 10:04 am

What'zs the MT situation about castle laws?
and what the eff was the student doing there anyway?
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

orpheus

Post by orpheus » Thu May 01, 2014 10:42 am

Why the hell did the guy shoot without warning? Why was he - self-admittedly - just waiting for someone to trespass?

Is killing of non-US citizens allowed by Montana SYG laws? Does any federal law say anything about this?

And does Montana law say anything about killing of a minor? (Dede was 17.)

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Thu May 01, 2014 11:53 am

Just waiting for the sage from cloud-cuckoo land to come in here and leave his mark. The thread should then swiftly descend into the depths of the gun club.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Thu May 01, 2014 1:05 pm

orpheus wrote:International outcry. Officials demand justice.

Bad Kaarma. :levi:
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Azathoth
blind idiot god
blind idiot god

Post by Azathoth » Thu May 01, 2014 1:44 pm

This guy has no chance of getting away with it. Left his garage open with a handbag in view then waited with a shotgun for someone to come in so he could shoot them. That isn't standing your ground.
Outside the ordered universe is that amorphous blight of nethermost confusion which blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity—the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, and who gnaws hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

Code: Select all

// Replaces with spaces the braces in cases where braces in places cause stasis 
   $str = str_replace(array("\{","\}")," ",$str);

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Thu May 01, 2014 2:17 pm

Fuck, if I didn't have a fence around my pool and somebody trespassed and managed to drown I'd be liable. How is that different from a fucking open garage door and valuables in plain sight? Absurd. If what we're reading is true then this asshole needs to be put away, he's a goddamned menace to public safety. I'm a fairly vociferous supporter of gun rights, Castle doctrine and SYG, but this is something entirely unnecessary. Of course the kid shouldn't be in the garage, but the death penalty is a bit harsh.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Thu May 01, 2014 7:37 pm

Azathoth wrote:This guy has no chance of getting away with it. Left his garage open with a handbag in view then waited with a shotgun for someone to come in so he could shoot them. That isn't standing your ground.
You can never, ever be certain that someone will be found guilty in this sort of case, no matter how clear their guilt might be/ :ddpan:
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

Gallstones
Supreme Absolute And Exclusive Ruler Of The World
About me: A fleck on a flake on a speck.

Post by Gallstones » Thu May 01, 2014 7:59 pm

orpheus wrote:Why the hell did the guy shoot without warning? Why was he - self-admittedly - just waiting for someone to trespass?

Is killing of non-US citizens allowed by Montana SYG laws?
Non US citizens don't get to kill or assault people in Montana either. Why would they be immune?
And this is already being discussed in the Vigilante thread. I'm not going to make comments in two threads on the same subject.

orpheus wrote:Does any federal law say anything about this?
Why would it?

orpheus wrote:And does Montana law say anything about killing of a minor? (Dede was 17.)
There is no prohibition in the law from shooting a minor for being a minor if that minor is acting as a threat to life as defined by self protection laws. I doubt Montana is unique in this.

How absurd you'd think a person can't protect themselves from being killed just because the threat is under 18yo.

I have managed to find the law, the text of the law, the text of the complaint in this case.
You can do the same if you want to know.
But here’s the thing about rights. They’re not actually supposed to be voted on. That’s why they’re called rights. ~Rachel Maddow August 2010

The Second Amendment forms a fourth branch of government (an armed citizenry) in case the government goes mad. ~Larry Nutter

orpheus

Post by orpheus » Thu May 01, 2014 9:01 pm

That's too limiting. I think SYG laws in general are absurd.

Self defense is not absurd. SYG laws are.

Drewish
I'm with stupid /\

Post by Drewish » Thu May 01, 2014 10:55 pm

Should this be considered standing your ground? No.
Should he get off using the stand your ground law? No.
Is this evidence against the validity of stand your ground laws? No.
Was the kid a thief? I don't know.
Nobody expects me...

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Thu May 01, 2014 11:13 pm

orpheus wrote:International outcry. Officials demand justice.

Here's justice: Don't fucking burglarize other people's garages in the middle of the night, you might get shot.
"Seth is Grandmaster Zen Troll who trains his victims to troll themselves every time they think of him" Robert_S

"All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Those who support denying anyone the right to keep and bear arms for personal defense are fully complicit in every crime that might have been prevented had the victim been effectively armed." Seth

© 2013/2014/2015/2016 Seth, all rights reserved. No reuse, republication, duplication, or derivative work is authorized.

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Thu May 01, 2014 11:14 pm

Svartalf wrote:What'zs the MT situation about castle laws?
and what the eff was the student doing there anyway?
Here's the situation:
45-3-103. Use of force in defense of occupied structure. (1) A person is justified in the use of force or threat to use force against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that the use of force is necessary to prevent or terminate the other person's unlawful entry into or attack upon an occupied structure.
(2) A person justified in the use of force pursuant to subsection (1) is justified in the use of force likely to cause death or serious bodily harm only if:
(a) the entry is made or attempted and the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent an assault upon the person or another then in the occupied structure; or
(b) the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent the commission of a forcible felony in the occupied structure.
"Seth is Grandmaster Zen Troll who trains his victims to troll themselves every time they think of him" Robert_S

"All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Those who support denying anyone the right to keep and bear arms for personal defense are fully complicit in every crime that might have been prevented had the victim been effectively armed." Seth

© 2013/2014/2015/2016 Seth, all rights reserved. No reuse, republication, duplication, or derivative work is authorized.

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Thu May 01, 2014 11:15 pm

orpheus wrote:Why the hell did the guy shoot without warning? Why was he - self-admittedly - just waiting for someone to trespass?
Because he'd been repeatedly burglarized and the police would do nothing about it.
Is killing of non-US citizens allowed by Montana SYG laws? Does any federal law say anything about this?

And does Montana law say anything about killing of a minor? (Dede was 17.)
Yes, no and no.
45-3-103. Use of force in defense of occupied structure. (1) A person is justified in the use of force or threat to use force against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that the use of force is necessary to prevent or terminate the other person's unlawful entry into or attack upon an occupied structure.
(2) A person justified in the use of force pursuant to subsection (1) is justified in the use of force likely to cause death or serious bodily harm only if:
(a) the entry is made or attempted and the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent an assault upon the person or another then in the occupied structure; or
(b) the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent the commission of a forcible felony in the occupied structure.

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Thu May 01, 2014 11:16 pm

Hermit wrote:Just waiting for the sage from cloud-cuckoo land to come in here and leave his mark. The thread should then swiftly descend into the depths of the gun club.
Go bitch to the state legislature, bitch: