What are you reading now? (Chapter 2)

Clinton Huxley
19th century monkeybitch.

Re: What are you reading now? (Chapter 2)

Post by Clinton Huxley » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:50 am

India In The Slow Lane by Mark Tully, a biography of Walsingham, Elizabeth I's spymaster, some book about pirates for the MHs and another one I can't remember.
"I grow old … I grow old …
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled"

AND MERRY XMAS TO ONE AND All!

Imagehttp://25kv.co.uk/date_counter.php?date ... 20counting!!![/img-sig]

PsychoSerenity
"I" Self-Perceive Recursively

Post by PsychoSerenity » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:49 am

Dodger by Terry Pratchett and a 1000 page economics textbook by Paul Krugman which was a bit of an impulse buy and I'm quite enjoying.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]

SteveB
Nibbler
About me: The more you change the less you feel

Post by SteveB » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:06 pm

Finished Death by Black Hole by Neil deGrasse Tyson. I liked it. The bits that I could understand that is. :hehe:

I gots a Goodreads account so y'all can see what I'm reading: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/24360257-steven-ure

The boring Feast for Crows and the Poe book I just started reading last night. :td:
Twit, twat, twaddle.
hadespussercats wrote:I've been de-sigged! :(

orpheus
About me: The name is Epictetus. Waldo Epictetus.

Post by orpheus » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:01 am

As usual, I have several going at once. Right now, five of them. Five fucking books, all of them very fucking good, none of them fucking easy. FUCK!

Closing in on the end of W.G. Sebald's The Rings of Saturn. I'll be sorry to see the last page of this one - it's excellent. It'll be well worth a re-read, I'm sure. (In a way though, I am looking forward to the end, so I can start on his last novel - Austerlitz - which looks even better.)

Re-reading Joyce's A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. Mr. JJ. The Master. It gets more enjoyable each time, this one.

Samuel Beckett's early novel, Watt. Good old Sam. Beckett is something of an obsession for me. I feel closer to him than to any other writer - by far. I've read all his middle and late works (from Godot on), but I've stayed away from his early stuff. I always found it too difficult. He was showing off - trying to outdo Joyce on Joyce's own turf (i.e., knowing everything and putting it all in his books). It's highly allusive, and the problem was that Beckett was extremely well-read, in several languages, so a lot of the allusions are really obscure. (I mean, everyone knows the works of 17th-century Flemish philosopher Arnold Geulincx, right? :shifty:) As Beckett found his own voice as a writer, he stripped all that away. So unlike a lot of writers, his later works are actually easier. (At least I think so.) But I figured I'm a big boy now, so it's time to tackle the tough stuff. I know I'm not getting a lot of the references. But the book is manically funny - I mean laugh-out-loud funny - and that's keeping me going.

The Last Gold of Expired Stars - the complete poems of Georg Trakl, translated from the German by Jim Doss and Werner Schmitt. Trakl is not an easy poet, and certainly not a happy one. But he's very worthwhile. Extraordinary autumnal mood, so it's a good time of year to be reading this.

Alberto Giacometti's Paris Sans Fin. Technically, I suppose this doesn't count as reading, since it's a book of lithographs. But I'm spending a lot of time with it. Birthday gift to myself last year. It's a very fine facsimile of what some consider to be the most beautiful book ever printed. I'm leaning toward that opinion myself. He did these toward the very end of his life, and I think he knew he didn't have long to go. There's something valedictory about these.

And then for desert, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. Tasty. :food:
I think that language has a lot to do with interfering in our relationship to direct experience. A simple thing like metaphor will allows you to go to a place and say 'this is like that'. Well, this isn't like that. This is like this.

—Richard Serra

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:35 am

Boy's Life by Robert McCammon. McCammon, for those that aren't familiar with him, is usually classified as a horror writer and indeed much of his work is horrific, but most is more Southern Gothic with tinges of spirits and spooks rather than outright horror. He's a fine writer, with an almost Faulkneresque grasp of the slow cadences of Southern speech and life. Boy's Life is a coming of age story about a group of 12 year old boys set in the strange little town of Zephyr, Alabama. There are supernatural overtones and a rich cast of characters, including an ex Nazi war criminal passing as the town doctor, the habitually naked son of the town's richest citizen and the Reverend who thinks the Beach Boys are actually demons trying to turn the town's children into sex-crazed delinquents. Dogs are truly a boy's best friend, bicycles are mystic steeds, school can be a dangerous minefield and adults are incomprehensible. It's reminiscent of King's The Body, but I think McCammon is the better writer, he speaks to my own childhood in such a recognizable and true voice. I definitely recommend it.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

SteveB
Nibbler
About me: The more you change the less you feel

Post by SteveB » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:49 pm

I gave up on that Poe book. Most of his stuff is so boring! I never would have thought it.

I'm reading The Secret Garden now. I'm thinking the Secret Garden is a metaphor for her vagina. We English Majors know these things. :prof:
Twit, twat, twaddle.
hadespussercats wrote:I've been de-sigged! :(

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:01 am

...added The Elements of Moral Philosophy...it's been a good introductory book so far.
Imagine that. I guess it's only coincidental that you'd already be the perfect citizen in the ideal world you're selling.

hadespussercats
I've come for your pants.
About me: Looks pretty good, coming out of the back of his neck like that.

Post by hadespussercats » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:30 pm

SteveB wrote:I gave up on that Poe book. Most of his stuff is so boring! I never would have thought it.

I'm reading The Secret Garden now. I'm thinking the Secret Garden is a metaphor for her vagina. We English Majors know these things. :prof:
Huh.

She's eight. Plus, the garden belongs to her uncle. All in all, pretty creepy way to interpret it.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:31 pm

Practical Ethics, by Peter Singer.

When do I get to the infanticide part? :ask:
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

tattuchu
a dickload of cocks
About me: I'm having trouble with the trolley.

Post by tattuchu » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:52 pm

hadespussercats wrote:
SteveB wrote:I gave up on that Poe book. Most of his stuff is so boring! I never would have thought it.

Huh.

She's eight. Plus, the garden belongs to her uncle.
:funny:
People think "queue" is just "q" followed by 4 silent letters.

But those letters are not silent.

They're just waiting their turn.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:05 am

hadespussercats wrote:

Huh.

She's eight. Plus, the garden belongs to her uncle. All in all, pretty creepy way to interpret it.
Maybe SteveB is referring to My Secret Garden by Nancy Friday.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:43 am

Re-reading "Wintersmith" by Terry Pratchett
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist
About me: I am sacrificing a turnip as I type.

Post by Pappa » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:43 pm

Design Patterns - GoF

Azathoth
blind idiot god
blind idiot god

Post by Azathoth » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:54 pm

If we are doing tech books:

An Introduction to formal languages and automata,
Concepts of programming languages,
Fundamentals of database systems,
Database system concepts,
Algorithms,
Computer organisation and embedded systems,
Programming the 68000,

are next to me right now.

A picture of dorian grey to switch my brain off later
Outside the ordered universe is that amorphous blight of nethermost confusion which blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity—the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, and who gnaws hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

Code: Select all

// Replaces with spaces the braces in cases where braces in places cause stasis 
   $str = str_replace(array("\{","\}")," ",$str);

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:21 pm

The 900 page Beatles biography Vol 1.