PZ accuses Shermer of rape.

Holy Crap!
tattuchu
a dickload of cocks
About me: I'm having trouble with the trolley.

Re: PZ accuses Shermer of rape.

Post by tattuchu » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:34 pm

Maybe PZ realizes he's gotten in too deep with the Girlyban crowd, cannot extricate or extirpate himself, and he tossed out this grenade not for the sake of justice or the right thing to do, but because he'd intended to throw himself down on it all along :ask:
Maybe the only way he can escape is through "death" :dunno:
People think "queue" is just "q" followed by 4 silent letters.

But those letters are not silent.

They're just waiting their turn.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:32 pm

dun . dun . dun

Nice angle Tatt!

boom
Imagine that. I guess it's only coincidental that you'd already be the perfect citizen in the ideal world you're selling.

tattuchu
a dickload of cocks
About me: I'm having trouble with the trolley.

Post by tattuchu » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:39 pm

By the way, what in hell is "the Streisand effect"? I'm not gay, so I'm not so familiar with Streisand. Anybody? :think:
People think "queue" is just "q" followed by 4 silent letters.

But those letters are not silent.

They're just waiting their turn.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:41 pm

I took that to be PZ pretending it was Shermer creating the drama -I know, the nerve of PZ is something to behold.

boom
Imagine that. I guess it's only coincidental that you'd already be the perfect citizen in the ideal world you're selling.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:43 pm

Also, it comes across as a kind of weak threat: Shermer doesn't know what he's getting himself into fighting this...

boom

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:46 pm

Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:03 pm

DaveD

Post by DaveD » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:31 pm

parp.jpg

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:09 pm

tattuchu wrote:By the way, what in hell is "the Streisand effect"? I'm not gay, so I'm not so familiar with Streisand. Anybody? :think:
Whazzamadda? Your google broke? :tea:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

Cormac

Post by Cormac » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:53 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:dun . dun . dun

Nice angle Tatt!

boom

Come on Sean - at least capitalise that.

BOOOM!
FUCKERPUNKERSHIT!

Wanna buy some pegs Dave, I've got some pegs here...
You're my wife now!

Cormac

Post by Cormac » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:57 pm

tattuchu wrote:By the way, what in hell is "the Streisand effect"? I'm not gay, so I'm not so familiar with Streisand. Anybody? :think:

FUCKERPUNKERSHIT!

Wanna buy some pegs Dave, I've got some pegs here...
You're my wife now!

Calilasseia
Butterfly
Butterfly
About me: Destroyer of canards, and merciless shredder of bad ideas. :twisted:

Post by Calilasseia » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:24 pm

The Streisand Effect arises when someone tries to stop material being released on the Internet by recourse to legal process, only for the publicity arising from said legal action to result in even more widespread dissemination of the material in question, than would have occurred if the lawyers hadn't been called in. Named after Barbra Streisand, whose attempts to prevent photographs of her beach home circulating on the Internet via cease and desist letters resulted in the material becoming far more "in demand" than would have happened if she'd simply ridden out the issue silently.

Of course, she probably had the usual security issues in mind with respect to those photographs, but forgot that her status as a public figure meant that [1] those photographs would be news-worthy in Celebrity Tabloid LandTM, [2] that making a fuss about this would result in charges of hypocrisy, however tenuous or specious, due to her having made a lot of money as a public figure, and [3] the response of a large number of Internet users to any actions interpreted as censorship, would be to spread the material far and wide so as to render attempts at censorship impossible. The irony in the Streisand case is that the photos weren't even taken by a tabloid paparazzo - they were actually taken by someone conducting a coastline survey in order to track erosion as part of a government environmental project. The photographer probably didn't know that the beach house in question was Streisand's, given that the photograph collection contained around 12,000 images, and prior to Streisand's ridiculously expensive lawsuit, the image had been accessed a grand total of just six times - two of these occasions being by Streisand's lawyers. After she launched her lawsuit, and this became public knowledge, the images was viewed 420,000 times. :mrgreen:

hackenslash
Fundie Baiter...errr. Fun Debater
About me: I've got a little black book with my poems in...

Post by hackenslash » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:20 am

Since I've now commented elsewhere:

I've steered clear thus far, as pretty much all the commentary has been of the 'hang him' or 'hang her' variety. It's a troublesome case, to be sure, especially when you're talking about people you've actually interacted with (in my case, exchanging messages with Shermer and being called a cupcake by Myers), but it ultimately boils down to this:

My evidential standards far exceed that of anything thus far presented. The data support no conclusions as yet. That's why I'm not commenting. I await objective evidence. Until that arrives, I'm not really willing to comment, other than to say that some people whose evidential standards I thought reflected mine have shown a singular willingness to nail colours to the mast one way or the other. And I'm not talking about Myers, who's degenerated into idiocy about as rapidly as anyone I've ever come across (which gives me pause in and of itself).

For me, it boils down to this. Whether or not Shermer is guilty as charged, it was incredibly irresponsible of Myers to blog openly about it. Perhaps if he'd presented it as a moral dilemma, omitting names to protect the innocent (and the guilty), whoever that might be, his position would be defensible. As it is, regardless of whether the allegations have any substance, he's acted like a total twat and, objectively, should reap the consequences of that twattishness. His sycophants are even worse. At least Myers could only be accused of some tabloidesque, irresponsible journalism, but his followers are a bunch of cunts, to be charitable to them.

Frankly, Myers has outlived his usefulness as a public skeptic because, on this issue, skeptic he ain't.

I have a lot of respect for Shermer, and I hope this turns out to be unfounded but, if not, I hope his crime is punished.

Let the cards fall where they may, and let the guilty party (whichever it is, and Myers is definitely one of them, and I sincerely hope it comes back to bite him in the ass, the arrogant, self-righteous prick) experience justice.
Dogma is the death of the intellect

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:45 am

hackenslash wrote:Since I've now commented elsewhere:

I've steered clear thus far, as pretty much all the commentary has been of the 'hang him' or 'hang her' variety. It's a troublesome case, to be sure, especially when you're talking about people you've actually interacted with (in my case, exchanging messages with Shermer and being called a cupcake by Myers), but it ultimately boils down to this:

My evidential standards far exceed that of anything thus far presented. The data support no conclusions as yet. That's why I'm not commenting. I await objective evidence. Until that arrives, I'm not really willing to comment, other than to say that some people whose evidential standards I thought reflected mine have shown a singular willingness to nail colours to the mast one way or the other. And I'm not talking about Myers, who's degenerated into idiocy about as rapidly as anyone I've ever come across (which gives me pause in and of itself).

For me, it boils down to this. Whether or not Shermer is guilty as charged, it was incredibly irresponsible of Myers to blog openly about it. Perhaps if he'd presented it as a moral dilemma, omitting names to protect the innocent (and the guilty), whoever that might be, his position would be defensible. As it is, regardless of whether the allegations have any substance, he's acted like a total twat and, objectively, should reap the consequences of that twattishness. His sycophants are even worse. At least Myers could only be accused of some tabloidesque, irresponsible journalism, but his followers are a bunch of cunts, to be charitable to them.

Frankly, Myers has outlived his usefulness as a public skeptic because, on this issue, skeptic he ain't.

I have a lot of respect for Shermer, and I hope this turns out to be unfounded but, if not, I hope his crime is punished.

Let the cards fall where they may, and let the guilty party (whichever it is, and Myers is definitely one of them, and I sincerely hope it comes back to bite him in the ass, the arrogant, self-righteous prick) experience justice.
Your first paragraph confuses me, Hack, because pretty much everyone that has commented in this thread (with a few exceptions) has echoed the sentiments you express in the later ones. :dunno:

Whatever the facts of the case, PZ (Prurient Zither) Myers has acted indefensibly throughout and made things worse for everyone involved.
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

hackenslash
Fundie Baiter...errr. Fun Debater
About me: I've got a little black book with my poems in...

Post by hackenslash » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:54 am

I was talking about generally, not here. This is one of the few places in which one bandwagon or another hasn't been jumped on. I originally posted this on FB, then on Ratskep, then here.

Apologies. I should have made that clearer.
Dogma is the death of the intellect