PZ accuses Shermer of rape.

Holy Crap!
JacksSmirkingRevenge
Grand Wazoo
About me: Half man - half yak.

Re: PZ accuses Shermer of rape.

Post by JacksSmirkingRevenge » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:40 pm

"Peezus"...Lol.
Sent from my Interositor using Twatatalk.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:04 pm

Pee Zee Herman.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

JacksSmirkingRevenge
Grand Wazoo

Post by JacksSmirkingRevenge » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:07 pm

Hehe. Puerile humour - Still the best.

laklak

Post by laklak » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:17 pm

I'm not sure we even rise to "puerile" most of the time.

JacksSmirkingRevenge
Grand Wazoo

Post by JacksSmirkingRevenge » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:27 pm

If you say so, Mr. Poopypants.

laklak

Post by laklak » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:28 pm

I'm rubber, you're glue.

Robert_S
Cookie Monster
About me: Too young to die of boredom, too old to grow up.

Post by Robert_S » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:34 pm

laklak wrote:I'm rubber, you're glue.
It's arts and crafts time?

OK then, I'm a popsicle stick. :biggrin:
What I've found with a few discussions I've had lately is this self-satisfaction that people express with their proffessed open mindedness. In realty it ammounts to wilful ignorance and intellectual cowardice as they are choosing to not form any sort of opinion on a particular topic. Basically "I don't know and I'm not going to look at any evidence because I'm quite happy on this fence."
-Mr P

The Net is best considered analogous to communication with disincarnate intelligences. As any neophyte would tell you. Do not invoke that which you have no facility to banish.
Audley Strange

laklak

Post by laklak » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:39 pm

Nope, sorry, too many innocent children have gotten terrible splinters from popsicle sticks, and they encourage obesity. For playtime today we'll wrap ourselves in cotton batting and sit quietly while Captain Planet talks to us about saving baby seals through composting.

Robert_S
Cookie Monster

Post by Robert_S » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:50 pm

laklak wrote:Nope, sorry, too many innocent children have gotten terrible splinters from popsicle sticks, and they encourage obesity. For playtime today we'll wrap ourselves in cotton batting and sit quietly while Captain Planet talks to us about saving baby seals through composting.
:cry:
What I've found with a few discussions I've had lately is this self-satisfaction that people express with their proffessed open mindedness. In realty it ammounts to wilful ignorance and intellectual cowardice as they are choosing to not form any sort of opinion on a particular topic. Basically "I don't know and I'm not going to look at any evidence because I'm quite happy on this fence."
-Mr P

The Net is best considered analogous to communication with disincarnate intelligences. As any neophyte would tell you. Do not invoke that which you have no facility to banish.
Audley Strange

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Re: PZ accuses Shemer of rape.

Post by Seth » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:09 pm

lordpasternack wrote:
Făkünamę wrote:The question is did she consent to have drinks with him with the foreknowledge it may lead to sex, did he force them down her throat with a funnel, or is she simply retarded. Sex with a retard is always rape as they're never able to consent.
What the fuck are you meaning to imply? Consent to drinks is not consent to sex. Should women take it on the chin if they are raped by someone with whom they'd hitherto been enjoying drinks?

Are men entitled to have sex with any woman who has drinks with them?
No, but consent to sex while voluntarily intoxicated is still consent. Not that I would undertake to act on such consent, it being illegal to do so and all, but the point is that if you go out and get voluntarily intoxicated on anything to the point of stupor or losing capacity to make decisions, you are VOLUNTARILY HANDING YOUR BODY OVER TO SOMEONE ELSE TO TAKE CARE OF. You are expecting them to take care of your body the way you would like it taken care of. But if you get drunk and flash your boobs and make sexual advanced to someone you're telling them that you want them to have sex with you and you'd like to do it by giving over complete and absolute control of your body, and your safety, to them. You have a right to do exactly that, just as a non-drunk sexual masochist has a right to give over control of his or her body to a Sadist. Just because you might have done so unwisely because you were drunk is no reason to shift the blame for your actions to someone else.

So why then is it a crime for the person to whom you have given explicit, though drunken and therefore perhaps unwise, consent and control over your body to go ahead and do what your ACTIONS THEMSELVES tell them you wish to do?

YOU got drunk/intoxicated. YOU chose to do so voluntarily, knowing the consequences of doing so. YOU engaged in sexualized and/or suggestive behavior. YOU turned over custodial care of your body to the person you're with. Why should YOU be completely and totally responsible for the consequences of your voluntary, knowing actions? Why should you (and I'm talking the abstract "you" here, not you personally) be permitted by the law to wake up later likely not remembering clearly exactly what permissions you actually gave and then complain about what happened to you. You're the one who got drunk, you must accept ALL the consequences of doing so.

If you wish to avoid such consequences the answer is very, very simple: Don't become voluntarily intoxicated to the point where you are incapable of caring for yourself.
"Seth is Grandmaster Zen Troll who trains his victims to troll themselves every time they think of him" Robert_S

"All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Those who support denying anyone the right to keep and bear arms for personal defense are fully complicit in every crime that might have been prevented had the victim been effectively armed." Seth

© 2013/2014/2015/2016 Seth, all rights reserved. No reuse, republication, duplication, or derivative work is authorized.

Cormac

Post by Cormac » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:54 pm

hadespussercats wrote:I don't understand why PZ published a claim with so little actual... anything to it. Not only are the accusers anonymous-- we don't even know exactly what it is Shermer supposedly did, except that it was bad. Really bad. PZ admits no evidence, but is willing to seriously smear one man on the witness of a two women he takes on faith. What the hell kind of scientist is that?

I don't get this at all. But my opinion of PZ, already low, has dropped even lower on this account.

I mean, why not investigate? Why not discuss the situation with the conference organizers? Why not do something substantial to try to help this woman he thinks was raped, without simply tossing her story to the gods of blogdom and reveling in the hits and the drama?

This and the share of advertising revenue he gets every time someone refreshes a page on his blog.
FUCKERPUNKERSHIT!

Wanna buy some pegs Dave, I've got some pegs here...
You're my wife now!

Cormac

Post by Cormac » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:02 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:Yes, it is hard to imagine PZ would do this unless he was confident he would be validated. I have no idea if he should be confident but yeah, I also think he believes his friend.

I just don't know why he would refer to the information as a grenade and go public with their allegations like he did.
I wouldn't be at all surprised. The man is a monumental jackass, with a history of spinning molehills into scandalous mountains, not to mention the additional income he'll generate fromthe controversy.
FUCKERPUNKERSHIT!

You're my wife now!

Robert_S
Cookie Monster

Post by Robert_S » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:09 pm

-Mr P

Audley Strange

Cormac

Post by Cormac » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:10 pm

Robert_S wrote:OK, PZ's a little quick on the judgment sometimes, (as most of us know very well) but he's not entirely stupid.

There has to be more information. There has to be something more on its way.
Why does there have to be?

He didn't hesitate to declare that everyone on Rationalia is a rape promoter.

He is a jackass, and I for one hope that this accusation is false, and that he ends up being bankrupted for it. I despise him.
FUCKERPUNKERSHIT!

You're my wife now!

Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist
About me: I am sacrificing a turnip as I type.

Re: PZ accuses Shemer of rape.

Post by Pappa » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:14 pm

Rum wrote:The OP. I sometimes wonder if some blogger types forget they inhabit the real world. If this was printed in a newspaper - so and so said such and such and so and so confirmed it - all second hand - all innuendo and in effect rumour with not a shred of direct evidence then you would be sued into bankruptcy.

I have no idea of the truth of the allegation but he must have had a total brain fart to come out with it this way.
PZ is a total brain fart. Typing without thinking is his thing. Regardless of the facts, it is horrific that he would post such an allegation on his blog. This sort of thing is for the police to deal with, not to be spread maliciously just to get more hits. His use of "Boom" is quite telling too. What a fucking repugnant arsehole.
For information on ways to help support Rationalia financially, see our funding page.

When the aliens do come, everything we once thought was cool will then make us ashamed.