PZ accuses Shermer of rape.

Holy Crap!
DaveDodo007
About me: When ever I behave as a man I am called sexist, It seems being a male is now illegal and nobody sent me the memo. Good job as I would have told them to fuck off.

Re: PZ accuses Shermer of rape.

Post by DaveDodo007 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:31 am

Făkünamę wrote:
JacksSmirkingRevenge wrote:
hadespussercats wrote:I don't understand why PZ published a claim with so little actual... anything to it. Not only are the accusers anonymous-- we don't even know exactly what it is Shermer supposedly did, except that it was bad. Really bad. PZ admits no evidence, but is willing to seriously smear one man on the witness of a two women he takes on faith. What the hell kind of scientist is that?

I don't get this at all. But my opinion of PZ, already low, has dropped even lower on this account.

I mean, why not investigate? Why not discuss the situation with the conference organizers? Why not do something substantial to try to help this woman he thinks was raped, without simply tossing her story to the gods of blogdom and reveling in the hits and the drama?
Let's just hope that Shermer sues his ass.
Glee!! :fall:
He pretty much has to doesn't he? If he doesn't a lot of those people will assume his guilt. If he just makes a response or statement it will still be a black mark on his record.

Shermer with his own magazine, published works, etc, could see serious financial losses as well as professional damage from this accusation.
You say that but why the delay? Klauss had bloghog's and Ed Clara(who) sites down within a day. Maybe Myers is to arrogant to listen to Lawyers, we can only hope so.
We should be MOST skeptical of ideas we like because we are sufficiently skeptical of ideas that we don't like. Penn Jillette.

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:37 am

The longer it stays up and the more attention it draws the larger the damages suit would be. Other than that.. :dunno:

Maybe Shermer actually cares about the skeptic community and is carefully considering how best to proceed with the advice of a counsel of lawyer-type people. Maybe one of the larger figures in the skeptic community actually is a rapist. Dunno, but I do know PZ either has solid evidence to back this or he's monumentally screwed because I'm pretty sure this isn't just going to go away.

Robert_S
Cookie Monster
About me: Too young to die of boredom, too old to grow up.

Post by Robert_S » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:43 am

Făkünamę wrote:The longer it stays up and the more attention it draws the larger the damages suit would be. Other than that.. :dunno:

Maybe Shermer actually cares about the skeptic community and is carefully considering how best to proceed with the advice of a counsel of lawyer-type people. Maybe one of the larger figures in the skeptic community actually is a rapist. Dunno, but I do know PZ either has solid evidence to back this or he's monumentally screwed because I'm pretty sure this isn't just going to go away.
Yep.
What I've found with a few discussions I've had lately is this self-satisfaction that people express with their proffessed open mindedness. In realty it ammounts to wilful ignorance and intellectual cowardice as they are choosing to not form any sort of opinion on a particular topic. Basically "I don't know and I'm not going to look at any evidence because I'm quite happy on this fence."
-Mr P

The Net is best considered analogous to communication with disincarnate intelligences. As any neophyte would tell you. Do not invoke that which you have no facility to banish.
Audley Strange

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:57 am

I didn't realize Ophelia Benson targeted him unsuccessfully back in December of last year for being sexist. Not that I'm suggesting those people are so evil as to construct this entirely to smear Shermer's reputation.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:28 am

Yes, it is hard to imagine PZ would do this unless he was confident he would be validated. I have no idea if he should be confident but yeah, I also think he believes his friend.

I just don't know why he would refer to the information as a grenade and go public with their allegations like he did.
Imagine that. I guess it's only coincidental that you'd already be the perfect citizen in the ideal world you're selling.

JacksSmirkingRevenge
Grand Wazoo
About me: Half man - half yak.

Post by JacksSmirkingRevenge » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:33 am

I just don't know why he would refer to the information as a grenade and go public with their allegations like he did.
He's a sensationalist.

I imagine his friend is horrified. At some point, chances are he's going to have to provide evidence and this will mean naming her - if he is going to save his own hide, that is.
Sent from my Interositor using Twatatalk.

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:46 am

I read he's admitted there is no evidence, but the source wasn't given and it wasn't clear if he meant at the time (apparently this happened long enough ago that there cannot be charges of rape brought against Shermer) or now. Although I assume if there was no evidence at the time, there surely is none now.

It seems he's pulled the pin and shoved that grenade right up his own ass in a monstrously stupid bid to do.. something.

Robert_S
Cookie Monster
About me: Too young to die of boredom, too old to grow up.

Post by Robert_S » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:10 am

OK, PZ's a little quick on the judgment sometimes, (as most of us know very well) but he's not entirely stupid.

There has to be more information. There has to be something more on its way.
What I've found with a few discussions I've had lately is this self-satisfaction that people express with their proffessed open mindedness. In realty it ammounts to wilful ignorance and intellectual cowardice as they are choosing to not form any sort of opinion on a particular topic. Basically "I don't know and I'm not going to look at any evidence because I'm quite happy on this fence."
-Mr P

The Net is best considered analogous to communication with disincarnate intelligences. As any neophyte would tell you. Do not invoke that which you have no facility to banish.
Audley Strange

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:32 am

Făkünamę wrote:I read he's admitted there is no evidence, but the source wasn't given and it wasn't clear if he meant at the time (apparently this happened long enough ago that there cannot be charges of rape brought against Shermer) or now. Although I assume if there was no evidence at the time, there surely is none now.

It seems he's pulled the pin and shoved that grenade right up his own ass in a monstrously stupid bid to do.. something.
That would depend on when and where the alleged rape is claimed to have taken place. Almost half of the states in the USA have no statute of limitations on rape at all, and if the alleged rape has taken place within the past ten years, the alleged offender can still be prosecuted in many of the rest.

I definitely agree that Pissy as shot himself in the arse. Naming someone a rapist while admitting not to have a single shred of evidence is extremely quixotic. Pissy is obviously aware of this. He wrote that "what’s dominating my head isn’t the consequences, but the question of what is the right thing to do." How chivalrous of him to take the word of an unidentified damsel in distress because he trusts her word and proceeding to defame someone else on the strength of that.

Starting with the first article I have ever read of his, I had a low opinion of him. Pissy appeared to me as a sensationalist tabloid-style writer who was totally up himself. His latest "accomplishment" makes it look like he has totally lost the plot now. So much so that I almost feel sorry for him.

Hopefully, Shermer will sue him for every penny he owns and the school that employs him will sack him on grounds that he has gone mad. That, or the alleged victims come forward, prove their cases in court, get Shermer gaoled and prove that Pissy is indeed the heroic white knight in shining armour. Anyone prepared to lay some odds as to which will be the outcome?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:36 am

Robert_S wrote:OK, PZ's a little quick on the judgment sometimes, (as most of us know very well) but he's not entirely stupid.

There has to be more information. There has to be something more on its way.

That thought has occurred to me as well. Only time will tell, though.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:23 pm

He's a sensationalist.

I imagine his friend is horrified. At some point, chances are he's going to have to provide evidence and this will mean naming her - if he is going to save his own hide, that is.
It makes you wonder if he discussed all of this with her before going public, or if it was a a solo run.
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

JacksSmirkingRevenge
Grand Wazoo
About me: Half man - half yak.

Post by JacksSmirkingRevenge » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:27 pm

klr wrote:
He's a sensationalist.

It makes you wonder if he discussed all of this with her before going public, or if it was a a solo run.
This is what I'm thinking. Maybe she'll sue him, too. :hehe:
Sent from my Interositor using Twatatalk.

klr

Post by klr » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:29 pm

klr wrote:
He's a sensationalist.

This is what I'm thinking. Maybe she'll sue him, too. :hehe:
Sued by both sides? That would learn him a lesson. :smug:
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:35 pm

Can I make a rape joke about Peezus?
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

klr

Post by klr » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:39 pm

rEvolutionist wrote:Can I make a rape joke about Peezus?
Eh? It would be ... "ill-advised" :levi: