PZ accuses Shermer of rape.

Holy Crap!
Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Re: PZ accuses Shermer of rape.

Post by Sean Hayden » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:04 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Sean Hayden wrote:Okay, you got me - I am allowed to get pissed off.
Me too.

As you noticed. :hehe:
Indeed - and I know you've actually gone to some of these things and met some of these people. I just have to at least shake my fist at the insanity of some of the behavior that continues even after having been confronted multiple times already.
Imagine that. I guess it's only coincidental that you'd already be the perfect citizen in the ideal world you're selling.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:06 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Sean Hayden wrote:Okay, you got me - I am allowed to get pissed off.
Me too.

As you noticed. :hehe:
Indeed - and I know you've actually gone to some of these things and met some of these people. I have to at least shake my fist at the insanity of some of the behavior that continues even after having been confronted multiple times already.
Been to three Skepticons, dined and drank with "the names". Made a hat for PZ. They're just people, one leg at a time folks. And that means a percentage of them are going to do stupid shit, same as in the real world. :prof:
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

Scott1328

Post by Scott1328 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:10 pm

The whole point of PZ's grenade is to polarize the skeptical movement and enlarge the deep rifts. It is just one more move in the game to oust the undesirables and ideological opponents. The next step of course is for the various Skepchicks/FtB personalities to announce boycotts of conferences and organizations that invite Shermer to participate or that fail to denounce him.

And of course any who dare to defend Shermer are labeled rape apologists and part of the problem.

Interesting to note. Joe Zameki, the founder of the Atheist Community of Austin, and Jen Peeples, its current president, had a falling out over this on the ACA facebook page yesterday. Joe thinking The police should be involved, and Jen apparently thinking mere allegations prove a crime occurred.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:11 pm

Oh the times, oh the mores.
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

lordpasternack
Divine Knob Twiddler
About me: I have remarkable elbows.

Post by lordpasternack » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:18 pm

Michael Shermer himself expresses some pretty cogent opinions on the topic of rape, and asking explicitly for consent:

http://www.michaelshermer.com/tag/morality/

Doesn't prove anything at all - but I just thought I'd share that one.
Then they for sudden joy did weep,
And I for sorrow sung,
That such a king should play bo-peep,
And go the fools among.
Prithee, nuncle, keep a schoolmaster that can teach
thy fool to lie: I would fain learn to lie.

Strontium Dog
About me: Navy Seals are not seals

Post by Strontium Dog » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:46 pm

Scott1328 wrote:The whole point of PZ's grenade is to polarize the skeptical movement and enlarge the deep rifts. It is just one more move in the game to oust the undesirables and ideological opponents. The next step of course is for the various Skepchicks/FtB personalities to announce boycotts of conferences and organizations that invite Shermer to participate or that fail to denounce him.

And of course any who dare to defend Shermer are labeled rape apologists and part of the problem.

Interesting to note. Joe Zameki, the founder of the Atheist Community of Austin, and Jen Peeples, its current president, had a falling out over this on the ACA facebook page yesterday. Joe thinking The police should be involved, and Jen apparently thinking mere allegations prove a crime occurred.
Oh yeah, this shit is catnip for the A-plus fucktards, and a quick peek at their forum shows the predictable apoplexy and misandry before the thread was prematurely locked.
100% verifiable facts or your money back. Anti-fascist. Enemy of woo - theistic or otherwise. Cloth is not an antiviral. Imagination and fantasy is no substitute for tangible reality. Wishing doesn't make it real.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater

Jason
Destroyer of words

Re: PZ accuses Shemer of rape.

Post by Jason » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:25 pm

JacksSmirkingRevenge wrote:
tattuchu wrote:What does "coerced me into a position where I could not consent" mean? :think:
"Got me drunk", maybe? :ask:
The girl later decided she hadn't been able to give consent because she'd had three banana daiquiris. Classic post-coital rape realization. The question is did she consent to have drinks with him with the foreknowledge it may lead to sex, did he force them down her throat with a funnel, or is she simply retarded. Sex with a retard is always rape as they're never able to consent.

Cormac

Post by Cormac » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:46 pm

Scott1328 wrote:The whole point of PZ's grenade is to polarize the skeptical movement and enlarge the deep rifts. It is just one more move in the game to oust the undesirables and ideological opponents. The next step of course is for the various Skepchicks/FtB personalities to announce boycotts of conferences and organizations that invite Shermer to participate or that fail to denounce him.

:this:
FUCKERPUNKERSHIT!

Wanna buy some pegs Dave, I've got some pegs here...
You're my wife now!

lordpasternack
Divine Knob Twiddler
About me: I have remarkable elbows.

Post by lordpasternack » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:48 pm

Făkünamę wrote:The question is did she consent to have drinks with him with the foreknowledge it may lead to sex, did he force them down her throat with a funnel, or is she simply retarded. Sex with a retard is always rape as they're never able to consent.
What the fuck are you meaning to imply? Consent to drinks is not consent to sex. Should women take it on the chin if they are raped by someone with whom they'd hitherto been enjoying drinks?

Are men entitled to have sex with any woman who has drinks with them?

Audley Strange
"I blame the victim"

Post by Audley Strange » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:57 pm

PZombie and his gang of cunts are like religion, making lots of noise because they are insipid and increasingly marginal. At least after this there is no way they will be considered skeptics.

His sort of "Atheism" has more sanctimony per square inch than the Vatican. I hope he ends up penniless and taking it up the shitter from tramps for spare change.
"What started as a legitimate effort by the townspeople of Salem to identify, capture and kill those who did Satan's bidding quickly deteriorated into a witch hunt" Army Man

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:02 pm

lordpasternack wrote:
Făkünamę wrote:The question is did she consent to have drinks with him with the foreknowledge it may lead to sex, did he force them down her throat with a funnel, or is she simply retarded. Sex with a retard is always rape as they're never able to consent.
What the fuck are you meaning to imply?
I implied nothing. I posed a question.
lordpasternack wrote: Consent to drinks is not consent to sex.
On the surface, obviously not. Context, however, has much to do with it. For example: Plying a woman with alcohol until she passes out and then having sex with her is obviously rape. Counter example: Having drinks with a woman, making advances which she is open to and accepts, and then later on decides alcohol influenced her judgment and cries rape is not obviously rape.
lordpasternack wrote:Should women take it on the chin if they are raped by someone with whom they'd hitherto been enjoying drinks?
You're begging the question. Was she raped or did she implicitly consent to his advances after, and probably while, they had been enjoying drinks together? Are you claiming they're the same thing?
lordpasternack wrote:Are men entitled to have sex with any woman who has drinks with them?
This is a non sequitur and severely gender biased, but to answer it neutrally: No. There is never an 'entitlement' to sex by any party on any occasion.

What are you trying to imply? That imbibing alcohol absolves a person of the decisions he or she (but especially she) makes while under the influence of that substance they partook of of their own free will? Is she not responsible for her decision to have sex after having a few drinks?

Audley Strange
"I blame the victim"

Post by Audley Strange » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:06 pm

An offer of coffee is a rape threat, let's remember that too.
"What started as a legitimate effort by the townspeople of Salem to identify, capture and kill those who did Satan's bidding quickly deteriorated into a witch hunt" Army Man

Robert_S
Cookie Monster
About me: Too young to die of boredom, too old to grow up.

Post by Robert_S » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:07 pm

Făkünamę wrote:
JacksSmirkingRevenge wrote:
tattuchu wrote:What does "coerced me into a position where I could not consent" mean? :think:
"Got me drunk", maybe? :ask:
The girl later decided she hadn't been able to give consent because she'd had three banana daiquiris. Classic post-coital rape realization. The question is did she consent to have drinks with him with the foreknowledge it may lead to sex, did he force them down her throat with a funnel, or is she simply retarded. Sex with a retard is always rape as they're never able to consent.
Girl was drinking some place and some guy socially maneuvers her, slowly and insidiously, to be alone with her as the night goes on and she gets drunker, eventually he alone with her and...

I've seen that sort of thing happen. The story seems plausible.
lordpasternack wrote:More to the point of this thread: I have in the past received incendiary accusations against respected figures in the Skeptic community. I may find them credible at face-value, but blabbering it all publicly when there isn't a shred of substantive evidence available, regarding what actually happened, is madness.
Perhaps PZ is betting that some more evidence will be forthcoming? That perhaps someone with a better legal case will gain the courage to come forward?
It is still to my great shame that I swallowed the criminal accusations made against Josh Timonen back in 2010, without due scrupulousness and care. That was some seriously intentionally malicious shit - though to RE Cornwell's credit, she did manage to give the case a superficial feel of substantiveness and authority. It was several months into the lawsuit before it transpired that there was zero evidence on her side, and substantive evidence on Josh's side.

Stuff like this matters. Sometimes situations are more weird and complex than you'd initially guessed. Sometimes the evidence reveals a picture that's simple, stark and unmistakably clear. But ultimately, there needs to be at least a couple of shreds of substantive evidence on which to base your hypothesis, before you say anything publicly.
Yes. Very much this.

When I was 16, I met a 25 year old woman who gave me coke, bought me beer, and initiated oral sex with me. We had lots of that. When she wanted me to go along with some bizarre criminal get rich quick scheme that she wouldn't give me the full details to, I cut off contact. She later accused me of raping her.

These things happen. To dismiss that wholesale would be criminal. To convict on an accusation is to convict 16 year old me. Women can be just as shitty as men. To deny that is ultimately disrespectful.
What I've found with a few discussions I've had lately is this self-satisfaction that people express with their proffessed open mindedness. In realty it ammounts to wilful ignorance and intellectual cowardice as they are choosing to not form any sort of opinion on a particular topic. Basically "I don't know and I'm not going to look at any evidence because I'm quite happy on this fence."
-Mr P

The Net is best considered analogous to communication with disincarnate intelligences. As any neophyte would tell you. Do not invoke that which you have no facility to banish.
Audley Strange

Audley Strange
"I blame the victim"

Post by Audley Strange » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:08 pm

Women can be just as shitty as men
Now that's someone who understands equality.

colubridae
Custom Rank: Rank
About me: http://www.essentialart.com/acatalog/Ed ... Stars.html

Post by colubridae » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:10 pm

Audley Strange wrote:An offer of coffee is a rape threat, let's remember that too.
:coffeespray:
I have a well balanced personality. I've got chips on both shoulders