PZ accuses Shermer of rape.

Holy Crap!
Animavore
Nasty Hombre

PZ accuses Shermer of rape.

Post by Animavore » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:18 am

Without a shred of evidence :nono:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... a-grenade/
I'm dyin’ here, people. It’s like people trust me or something.

So I’ve been given this rather…explosive…information. It’s a direct report of unethical behavior by a big name in the skeptical community (yeah, like that hasn’t been happening a lot lately), and it’s straight from the victim’s mouth. And it’s bad. Really bad.

She’s torn up about it. It’s been a few years, so no law agency is going to do anything about it now; she reported it to an organization at the time, and it was dismissed. Swept under the rug. Ignored. I can imagine her sense of futility. She’s also afraid that the person who assaulted her before could try to hurt her again.

But at the same time, she doesn’t want this to happen to anyone else, so she’d like to get the word out there. So she hands the information to me. Oh, thanks.

Now I’ve been sitting here trying to resolve my dilemma — to reveal it or not — and goddamn it, what’s dominating my head isn’t the consequences, but the question of what is the right thing to do. Do I stand up for the one who has no recourse, no way out, no other option to help others, or do I shelter the powerful big name guy from an accusation I can’t personally vouch for, except to say that I know the author, and that she’s not trying to acquire notoriety (she wants her name kept out of it)?

I’ve got to do what I’ve got to do, I can do no other. I will again emphasize, though, that I have no personal, direct evidence that the event occurred as described; all I can say is that the author is known to me, and she has also been vouched for by one other person I trust. The author is not threatening her putative assailant with any action, but is solely concerned that other women be aware of his behavior. The only reason she has given me this information is that she has no other way to act.

With that, I cast this grenade away from me…
At a conference, Mr. Shermer coerced me into a position where I could not consent, and then had sex with me. I can’t give more details than that, as it would reveal my identity, and I am very scared that he will come after me in some way. But I wanted to share this story in case it helps anyone else ward off a similar situation from happening. I reached out to one organization that was involved in the event at which I was raped, and they refused to take my concerns seriously. Ever since, I’ve heard stories about him doing things (5 different people have directly told me they did the same to them) and wanted to just say something and warn people, and I didn’t know how. I hope this protects someone.
Boom.

Further corroboration: a witness has come forward. This person has asked to remain anonymous too, but I will say they’re someone who doesn’t particularly like me — so no accusations of fannishness, OK?
The anonymous woman who wrote to you through Carrie is known to me, and in fact I was in her presence immediately after said incident (she was extremely distraught), and when she told the management of the conference (some time later).
EDIT: Corrected title - KR
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Scott1328

Re: PZ accuses Shemer of rape.

Post by Scott1328 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:27 am

It's a good thing we have the police and prosecutors and judges and juries to handle these cases.

Scott1328

Post by Scott1328 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:29 am

Scott1328 wrote:It's a good thing we have the police and prosecutors and judges and juries to handle these cases.
I would sure hate to see PZ convicted of libel or defamation without a fair trial

tattuchu
a dickload of cocks
About me: I'm having trouble with the trolley.

Post by tattuchu » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:34 am

What does "coerced me into a position where I could not consent" mean? :think:

Also, Shermer as a serial rapist? I don't buy it. But I suppose anything is possible.

Whole thing sounds kinda fishy. What the statute of limitations on rape? Also, reporting it to one of the organizations that "was involved in the event" is all very well. But if you were raped, why would you not go to the police? :think:
People think "queue" is just "q" followed by 4 silent letters.

But those letters are not silent.

They're just waiting their turn.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:38 am

I love the way all the fuckwits on the comments section are branding anyone who dissents as "calling the woman a liar". She's neither a liar nor not-a-liar until it some sort of guilt or innocence has been confirmed. But try telling those fuckwits that :roll:
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Strontium Dog
About me: Navy Seals are not seals

Post by Strontium Dog » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:38 am

PZ Myers and that lot have long thought themselves above the law, hopefully this is the straw that breaks the camel's back and the inevitable lawsuit punches a large hole in his bank balance.
100% verifiable facts or your money back. Anti-fascist. Enemy of woo - theistic or otherwise. Cloth is not an antiviral. Imagination and fantasy is no substitute for tangible reality. Wishing doesn't make it real.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater

Scott1328

Post by Scott1328 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:55 am

Animavore wrote:I love the way all the fuckwits on the comments section are branding anyone who dissents as "calling the woman a liar". She's neither a liar nor not-a-liar until it some sort of guilt or innocence has been confirmed. But try telling those fuckwits that :roll:
It would make more sense to call PZ a liar. At least we know he exists.

JacksSmirkingRevenge
Grand Wazoo
About me: Half man - half yak.

Post by JacksSmirkingRevenge » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:22 am

:pop:
Sent from my Interositor using Twatatalk.

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:33 am

Scott1328 wrote:It's a good thing we have the police and prosecutors and judges and juries to handle these cases.
If purported victims would bother to take advantage of them.

PZ's gonna get himself sued for libel...I hope.
"Seth is Grandmaster Zen Troll who trains his victims to troll themselves every time they think of him" Robert_S

"All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Those who support denying anyone the right to keep and bear arms for personal defense are fully complicit in every crime that might have been prevented had the victim been effectively armed." Seth

© 2013/2014/2015/2016 Seth, all rights reserved. No reuse, republication, duplication, or derivative work is authorized.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:43 am

It would have to actually be libel for him to be sued it though.

We'll see.

Scott1328

Post by Scott1328 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:47 am

He would have to produce his source to defend against a libel claim.

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:49 am

Animavore wrote:It would have to actually be libel for him to be sued it though.

We'll see.
No, it would have to be libel to be sustained, he can be sued for just about anything, including defamation of character, which is probably more likely, given the circumstances.

It's worth noting that repeating a libel is still libel.
"Seth is Grandmaster Zen Troll who trains his victims to troll themselves every time they think of him" Robert_S

"All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Those who support denying anyone the right to keep and bear arms for personal defense are fully complicit in every crime that might have been prevented had the victim been effectively armed." Seth

© 2013/2014/2015/2016 Seth, all rights reserved. No reuse, republication, duplication, or derivative work is authorized.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:50 am

Seth wrote:
Animavore wrote:It would have to actually be libel for him to be sued it though.

We'll see.
No, it would have to be libel to be sustained, he can be sued for just about anything, including defamation of character, which is probably more likely, given the circumstances.

It's worth noting that repeating a libel is still libel.
No, I mean if it now goes to court and turns out to be true then it's not libel. Isn't it?

JacksSmirkingRevenge
Grand Wazoo
About me: Half man - half yak.

Post by JacksSmirkingRevenge » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:52 am

tattuchu wrote:What does "coerced me into a position where I could not consent" mean? :think:
"Got me drunk", maybe? :ask:
Sent from my Interositor using Twatatalk.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:57 am

JacksSmirkingRevenge wrote:
tattuchu wrote:What does "coerced me into a position where I could not consent" mean? :think:
"Got me drunk", maybe? :ask:
Made her feel skeptical about saying 'no' with logic, perhaps?