Science news of the day thread.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Re: Science news of the day thread.

Post by Tero » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:34 pm

Polyphosphoric acid
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphosphoric_acid

Contains the energy releasing bonds that ATP has. You have to domehow evaporate water to get the gooy mass out of regular phosphoric acid.

MiM
Man In The Middle

Post by MiM » Wed May 01, 2013 7:35 am

So how weird is this?

"In February 2012, the Nobel Prize-winning physicist Frank Wilczek decided to go public with a strange and, he worried, somewhat embarrassing idea. Impossible as it seemed, Wilczek had developed an apparent proof of “time crystals” — physical structures that move in a repeating pattern, like minute hands rounding clocks, without expending energy or ever winding down. Unlike clocks or any other known objects, time crystals derive their movement not from stored energy but from a break in the symmetry of time, enabling a special form of perpetual motion."

continued...

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/ ... -crystals/
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - Richard Feynman

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"

Post by FBM » Wed May 01, 2013 8:01 am

MiM wrote:So how weird is this?

"In February 2012, the Nobel Prize-winning physicist Frank Wilczek decided to go public with a strange and, he worried, somewhat embarrassing idea. Impossible as it seemed, Wilczek had developed an apparent proof of “time crystals” — physical structures that move in a repeating pattern, like minute hands rounding clocks, without expending energy or ever winding down. Unlike clocks or any other known objects, time crystals derive their movement not from stored energy but from a break in the symmetry of time, enabling a special form of perpetual motion."

continued...

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/ ... -crystals/
That's right up there with the weirdest. Something to keep an eye out for. However, "An international team led by Berkeley scientists is preparing an elaborate lab experiment, although it may take “anywhere between three and infinity years” to complete..."
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Thu May 02, 2013 8:44 am

Alien-Looking Skeleton Poses Medical Mystery

alien-sirus-660x433-130430.jpg
A 6-inch-long skeleton was found in the Atacama Desert in Chile. The skeleton showed several anomalies, including its alien-like skull, teensy body and the fact that it had just 10 ribs rather than the 12.

"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu May 02, 2013 8:52 am

Likelihood of it being a fake?
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Thu May 02, 2013 8:58 am

Slim and none, it seems. They've already DNA tested its DNA, so I'd say scientists have already given it a thorough going-over.

Blind groper
About me: From New Zealand

Post by Blind groper » Thu May 02, 2013 9:02 am

Svartalf wrote:Likelihood of it being a fake?
Roughly 100% in my ever so humble opinion.

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Thu May 02, 2013 9:06 am

Forgot to post the link to the story: http://news.discovery.com/human/alien-l ... pgn=fbsci1

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu May 02, 2013 9:31 am

They DNA tested the thing and they can't say what gender it was? THAT says "hoax" louder than any other ridiculous claims...
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Thu May 02, 2013 9:40 am

Seems like gender would be among the first and easiest things to determine.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu May 02, 2013 11:36 am

How did that live 6-8 years?
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Thu May 02, 2013 12:33 pm

:dunno: That's the main thing that piqued my curiosity. It may yet turn out to be a hoax, but...Stanford School of Medicine? :think:

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu May 02, 2013 12:40 pm

FBM wrote::dunno: That's the main thing that piqued my curiosity. It may yet turn out to be a hoax, but...Stanford School of Medicine? :think:
"First reports are always wrong." So are second, third, fourth, fifth, etc. Otsi comes to mind here. They looked at his xrays for years before somebody noticed an arrowhead buried in his back. :doh:

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Thu May 02, 2013 12:56 pm

We'll find out sooner or later, I suppose, but if Stanford took their own DNA samples from the thing, it's going to be interesting to see how they screwed that up.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu May 02, 2013 12:59 pm

FBM wrote:We'll find out sooner or later, I suppose, but if Stanford took their own DNA samples from the thing, it's going to be interesting to see how they screwed that up.
Grad students. :nono: