Science news of the day thread.

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"

Re: Science news of the day thread.

Post by FBM » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:45 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
FBM wrote:You'll get it in a few weeks...
Too late by then.
You're missing the point. It's too late now...
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:47 pm

FBM wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
FBM wrote:You'll get it in a few weeks...
Too late by then.
You're missing the point. It's too late now...
Not for some batshit crazy rioting it's not. :mob:
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:37 pm

Good point...
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:23 am

I'm gunna go and loot me some tvs and electrical goods.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:14 am

Don't forget guns and ammo.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:24 am

Enough guns and ammo and we don't need no stinking riot. We gots us our own muthafucking riot, homes.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Blind groper
About me: From New Zealand

Post by Blind groper » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:29 am

No laklak
With enough guns and ammo, you just got yourself dead.
For every human action, there is a rationalisation and a reason. Only sometimes do they coincide.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:20 pm

Centaur wrote:A partial lunar eclipse will be visible from Europe, Africa, Asia and Australia during the night of 2013 APR 25-26. Based on the French model, the umbral magnitude will be 0.013, meaning that at best only 1.3% of the Moon’s diameter will be covered by the dark portion of the Earth’s shadow.

I’ve created a panorama of five phases of the eclipse as viewed from London. Although position angles would be different for other locations, the event timings will be the same if adjusted to local time zones. It can be seen at http://www.CurtRenz.com/moon

Descriptions and photos of the eclipse would be welcome additions to this thread.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:21 pm

kennyc wrote:
Power behind primordial soup discovered

Published Thursday 4th April 13

Researchers at the University of Leeds may have solved a key puzzle about how objects from space could have kindled life on Earth.

While it is generally accepted that some important ingredients for life came from meteorites bombarding the early Earth, scientists have not been able to explain how that inanimate rock transformed into the building blocks of life.

This new study shows how a chemical, similar to one now found in all living cells and vital for generating the energy that makes something alive, could have been created when meteorites containing phosphorus minerals landed in hot, acidic pools of liquids around volcanoes, which were likely to have been common across the early Earth.

“The mystery of how living organisms sprung out of lifeless rock has long puzzled scientists, but we think that the unusual phosphorus chemicals we found could be a precursor to the batteries that now power all life on Earth. But the fact that it developed simply, in conditions similar to the early Earth, suggests this could be the missing link between geology and biology,” said Dr Terry Kee, from the University’s School of Chemistry, who led the research.

All life on Earth is powered by a process called chemiosmosis, where the chemical adenosine triphosphate (ATP), the rechargeable chemical ‘battery’ for life, is both broken down and re-formed during respiration to release energy used to drive the reactions of life, or metabolism. The complex enzymes required for both the creation and break down of ATP are unlikely to have existed on the Earth during the period when life first developed. This led scientists to look for a more basic chemical with similar properties to ATP, but that does not require enzymes to transfer energy.

Phosphorus is the key element in ATP, and other fundamental building blocks of life like DNA, but the form it commonly takes on Earth, phosphorus (V), is largely insoluble in water and has a low chemical reactivity. The early Earth, however, was regularly bombarded by meteorites and interstellar dust rich in exotic minerals, including the far more reactive form of phosphorus, the iron-nickel-phosphorus mineral schreibersite.

The scientists simulated the impact of such a meteorite with the hot, volcanically-active, early Earth by placing samples of the Sikhote-Alin meteorite, an iron meteorite which fell in Siberia in 1947, in acid taken from the Hveradalur geothermal area in Iceland. The rock was left to react with the acidic fluid in test tubes incubated by the surrounding hot spring for four days, followed by a further 30 days at room temperature.
http://www.leeds.ac.uk/news/article/338 ... discovered

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:37 am

Centaur wrote:The SpaceX Grasshopper rocket has now set a new record of 250 m (820 ft) in the air before reversing for a landing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoxiK7K2 ... e=youtu.be

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:52 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Centaur wrote:The SpaceX Grasshopper rocket has now set a new record of 250 m (820 ft) in the air before reversing for a landing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoxiK7K2 ... e=youtu.be
Oh! An intentional reversal and controlled landing! Well, then, yes. Bravo that! :cheer:

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:00 am

FBM wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Oh! An intentional reversal and controlled landing! Well, then, yes. Bravo that! :cheer:
Unlike the first few Vanguard missile launches. :?

Calilasseia
Butterfly
Butterfly
About me: Destroyer of canards, and merciless shredder of bad ideas. :twisted:

Post by Calilasseia » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:40 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
kennyc wrote:
Power behind primordial soup discovered

Published Thursday 4th April 13

Researchers at the University of Leeds may have solved a key puzzle about how objects from space could have kindled life on Earth.

While it is generally accepted that some important ingredients for life came from meteorites bombarding the early Earth, scientists have not been able to explain how that inanimate rock transformed into the building blocks of life.

This new study shows how a chemical, similar to one now found in all living cells and vital for generating the energy that makes something alive, could have been created when meteorites containing phosphorus minerals landed in hot, acidic pools of liquids around volcanoes, which were likely to have been common across the early Earth.

“The mystery of how living organisms sprung out of lifeless rock has long puzzled scientists, but we think that the unusual phosphorus chemicals we found could be a precursor to the batteries that now power all life on Earth. But the fact that it developed simply, in conditions similar to the early Earth, suggests this could be the missing link between geology and biology,” said Dr Terry Kee, from the University’s School of Chemistry, who led the research.

All life on Earth is powered by a process called chemiosmosis, where the chemical adenosine triphosphate (ATP), the rechargeable chemical ‘battery’ for life, is both broken down and re-formed during respiration to release energy used to drive the reactions of life, or metabolism. The complex enzymes required for both the creation and break down of ATP are unlikely to have existed on the Earth during the period when life first developed. This led scientists to look for a more basic chemical with similar properties to ATP, but that does not require enzymes to transfer energy.

Phosphorus is the key element in ATP, and other fundamental building blocks of life like DNA, but the form it commonly takes on Earth, phosphorus (V), is largely insoluble in water and has a low chemical reactivity. The early Earth, however, was regularly bombarded by meteorites and interstellar dust rich in exotic minerals, including the far more reactive form of phosphorus, the iron-nickel-phosphorus mineral schreibersite.

The scientists simulated the impact of such a meteorite with the hot, volcanically-active, early Earth by placing samples of the Sikhote-Alin meteorite, an iron meteorite which fell in Siberia in 1947, in acid taken from the Hveradalur geothermal area in Iceland. The rock was left to react with the acidic fluid in test tubes incubated by the surrounding hot spring for four days, followed by a further 30 days at room temperature.
http://www.leeds.ac.uk/news/article/338 ... discovered
Sadly, the paper, A Plausibly Prebiotic Route To Activated Phosphorus On The Early Earth, appears to be stuck behind a paywall.

EDIT: Abstract here.

Azathoth
blind idiot god
blind idiot god

Post by Azathoth » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:39 pm

Seems to be the full paper now.
Outside the ordered universe is that amorphous blight of nethermost confusion which blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity—the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, and who gnaws hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

Code: Select all

// Replaces with spaces the braces in cases where braces in places cause stasis 
   $str = str_replace(array("\{","\}")," ",$str);

Calilasseia
Butterfly
Butterfly
About me: Destroyer of canards, and merciless shredder of bad ideas. :twisted:

Post by Calilasseia » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:50 pm

But oddly enough you can't download the PDF. Not without paying around $28 for it.