What are you reading now? (Chapter 2)

Clinton Huxley
19th century monkeybitch.

Re: What are you reading now? (Chapter 2)

Post by Clinton Huxley » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:25 am

Cheers, KLR, will keep my eye out for 'em.
"I grow old … I grow old …
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled"

AND MERRY XMAS TO ONE AND All!

Imagehttp://25kv.co.uk/date_counter.php?date ... 20counting!!![/img-sig]

redunderthebed
Commie Bastard
About me: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate and wine in each hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Post by redunderthebed » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:40 pm

redunderthebed wrote: I'm reading perfume: The story of a murderer by patrick suskind the protagonist is one screwed up little munchkin. :?
I just finished reading it holy fuck it is good its fucked up and disturbing right from the first page to the beginning and the ending is totally out of left-field and you will not see it coming.

Overall i highly recommend it i have no bloody idea what to read next though not that i'm short of options. :think:
Trolldor wrote:Ahh cardinal Pell. He's like a monkey after a lobotomy and three lines of cocaine.
The Pope was today knocked down at the start of Christmas mass by a woman who hopped over the barriers. The woman was said to be, "Mentally unstable."

Which is probably why she went unnoticed among a crowd of Christians.
Cormac wrote: One thing of which I am certain. The world is a better place with you in it. Stick around please. The universe will eventually get around to offing all of us. No need to help it in its efforts...

Cormac

Post by Cormac » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:52 pm

JimC wrote:I'm reading books 12 and 13 of the epic fantasy series "Wheel of Time", by Robert Jordan (with the assistance of Brandon Sanderson, since Robert passed away after book 11), in preparation for the final volume, "A Memory of Light", which has arrived...
Given that he finally died - is that series actually going to end.

I liked the first three books. Then he spoke in Trinity College Dublin, and announced his intention NEVER to finish the series. My impression was that this was an appalling attitude, and that it was going to make the series stink of stagnant cess.

I was right. The books badly lose their way, and progress becomes so insufferably slow, it kills the story entirely.
FUCKERPUNKERSHIT!

Wanna buy some pegs Dave, I've got some pegs here...
You're my wife now!

Cormac

Post by Cormac » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:56 pm

redunderthebed wrote:
redunderthebed wrote: I'm reading perfume: The story of a murderer by patrick suskind the protagonist is one screwed up little munchkin. :?
I just finished reading it holy fuck it is good its fucked up and disturbing right from the first page to the beginning and the ending is totally out of left-field and you will not see it coming.

Overall i highly recommend it i have no bloody idea what to read next though not that i'm short of options. :think:
It is an odd one isn't it?
FUCKERPUNKERSHIT!

Wanna buy some pegs Dave, I've got some pegs here...
You're my wife now!

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:47 pm

Cormac wrote:
JimC wrote:I'm reading books 12 and 13 of the epic fantasy series "Wheel of Time", by Robert Jordan (with the assistance of Brandon Sanderson, since Robert passed away after book 11), in preparation for the final volume, "A Memory of Light", which has arrived...
Given that he finally died - is that series actually going to end.

I liked the first three books. Then he spoke in Trinity College Dublin, and announced his intention NEVER to finish the series. My impression was that this was an appalling attitude, and that it was going to make the series stink of stagnant cess.

I was right. The books badly lose their way, and progress becomes so insufferably slow, it kills the story entirely.
He did get a little bogged down at times, but I still loved it. The guy who did the final 3 books, working from Jordan's notes, has done a really good job.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

redunderthebed
Commie Bastard
About me: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate and wine in each hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Post by redunderthebed » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:56 pm

Cormac wrote:
redunderthebed wrote:

It is an odd one isn't it?
Odd indeed i really want to read his other book the pigeon.
Trolldor wrote:Ahh cardinal Pell. He's like a monkey after a lobotomy and three lines of cocaine.
The Pope was today knocked down at the start of Christmas mass by a woman who hopped over the barriers. The woman was said to be, "Mentally unstable."

Cormac wrote: One thing of which I am certain. The world is a better place with you in it. Stick around please. The universe will eventually get around to offing all of us. No need to help it in its efforts...

redunderthebed
Commie Bastard

Post by redunderthebed » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:29 pm

Reading a collection of short stories by katherine mansfield.

Just finished the first one it is wonderfully written she writes in such details that it is like she is painting a whole world for you as you read it and the story twists and turns and it wasn't chore to read it and the ending was ambiguous.

Can't wait to get to her next story.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:01 am

Taking a break from murder mysteries for a while. I typically read ones that have been translated. But I read a Michigan one and two European ones. All three were such that I wont bother with those authors much. Pedophiles, DNA, bone marrow transfusions, faked death. All boring by now. And some writers get very repetitious with their whodoneit formula. One writer always has his cop get personnally involved with ssuspects and witnesses. He does not know it but his pattern is the same: the cop himself has to end up the loser, so the killer is whoever would be the worst case for the cop.

Watching a few BBC series though. It's less work than having to read them.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Atomic man, embossed on hues of
Money greens that swell and ooze, will
Scratch his chin as if to muse that
All this winning meant to lose
Though he slaved and hate his dues
Here he was, no time to choose...Grass for Blades by Wigwam

anna09
Book Nerd

Post by anna09 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:21 pm

I had to give up on Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald. It took me three days just to get through 100 pages of that book; not a good sign!

Starting this now. . .

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:28 pm

Imagine that. I guess it's only coincidental that you'd already be the perfect citizen in the ideal world you're selling.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:34 am

anna09 wrote:I had to give up on Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald. It took me three days just to get through 100 pages of that book; not a good sign!

Starting this now. . .

I saw the film version a few years ago. Don't know why it was panned by the critics, and books that films are based on are in my experience almost always better. So, anticipate a good read.

I have a copy of Margaret Atwood's The Blind Assassin on my shelf waiting to be read. Going by the rate I am currently reading, watching films and listening to music, it may be a while till I get around to doing so.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

redunderthebed
Commie Bastard

Post by redunderthebed » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:58 am

I just finished grapes of wrath what a freaking strange ending. :?

redunderthebed
Commie Bastard

Post by redunderthebed » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:11 pm

Reading death in brunswick by boyd oxlade.....i'm enjoying an excellent australian novel.

redunderthebed
Commie Bastard

Post by redunderthebed » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:42 am

Finished it and it was excellent and macabre and messed up.

redunderthebed
Commie Bastard

Post by redunderthebed » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:55 pm

aaand started john steinbeck's cannery row and finished it tonight awesome book loved gone and download all his books i could find. :swoon: