What are you reading now? (Chapter 2)

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: What are you reading now? (Chapter 2)

Post by JimC » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:45 am

I'm re-reading the entire "Sharpe" series by Bernard Cornwall, a fictional account of a Rifles officer in the Peninsular campaign...

I had gaps in my collection, since filled via Kindle... :tup:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:57 am

gotta love Kindle
How many books in the series?
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

redunderthebed
Commie Bastard
About me: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate and wine in each hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Post by redunderthebed » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:13 am

Cormac wrote:
redunderthebed wrote:Noam Chomsky 9-11 was there an alternative?

Just read it it is awesome if you want a different view on war on terror and 9-11 in a pretty accessible format (it's a collection of essays and newspaper interviews) i highly recommend it.

Now to find all his other books and read them (he recommend them all in his recommended reading list :hehe: ). :ab:
His analysis, in my view is very insightful.

In general, his solutions are for the birds. Well, particularly his economic ideas.
I'm yet to get into his books where he proposes solution etc it should be fascinating.
Trolldor wrote:Ahh cardinal Pell. He's like a monkey after a lobotomy and three lines of cocaine.
The Pope was today knocked down at the start of Christmas mass by a woman who hopped over the barriers. The woman was said to be, "Mentally unstable."

Which is probably why she went unnoticed among a crowd of Christians.
Cormac wrote: One thing of which I am certain. The world is a better place with you in it. Stick around please. The universe will eventually get around to offing all of us. No need to help it in its efforts...

redunderthebed
Commie Bastard
About me: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate and wine in each hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Post by redunderthebed » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:18 am

I tried reading who chose the gospels by c.e hill fuck me what a boring book. :ddpan:
Trolldor wrote:Ahh cardinal Pell. He's like a monkey after a lobotomy and three lines of cocaine.
The Pope was today knocked down at the start of Christmas mass by a woman who hopped over the barriers. The woman was said to be, "Mentally unstable."

Cormac wrote: One thing of which I am certain. The world is a better place with you in it. Stick around please. The universe will eventually get around to offing all of us. No need to help it in its efforts...

Cormac

Post by Cormac » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:27 pm

redunderthebed wrote:
Cormac wrote:
redunderthebed wrote:Noam Chomsky 9-11 was there an alternative?

Just read it it is awesome if you want a different view on war on terror and 9-11 in a pretty accessible format (it's a collection of essays and newspaper interviews) i highly recommend it.

Now to find all his other books and read them (he recommend them all in his recommended reading list :hehe: ). :ab:
His analysis, in my view is very insightful.

In general, his solutions are for the birds. Well, particularly his economic ideas.
I'm yet to get into his books where he proposes solution etc it should be fascinating.
It has been a while since I read the books I have by him, and nearly 20 years since I attended a lecture of his at UCD in Dublin, but iirc he has a fairly left-wing concept about how to run economics.

Perhaps I am imagining it. Time for a re-read.
FUCKERPUNKERSHIT!

Wanna buy some pegs Dave, I've got some pegs here...
You're my wife now!

Bella Fortuna
Sister Golden Hair
About me: Being your slave, what should I do but tend
Upon the hours and times of your desire?
I have no precious time at all to spend,
Nor services to do, till you require.

Post by Bella Fortuna » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:34 pm

I am reading this:

And recently read this:

Sent from my Bollocksberry using Crapatalk.
Food, cooking, and disreputable nonsense: http://miscreantsdiner.blogspot.com/

redunderthebed
Commie Bastard

Post by redunderthebed » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:16 am

I'm enjoying it throughly.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:34 am

macdoc wrote:gotta love Kindle
How many books in the series?
Around 20. Not high literature, but entertaining and the military history aspects are pretty spot on...
And my gin!

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:35 am

Bella Fortuna wrote:I am reading this:

And recently read this:

Wow!

My mum was a huge fan of the Lillian Beckwith books - I've got most of 'em here!

Very down to earth, and quite amusing...
And my gin!

Bella Fortuna
Sister Golden Hair

Post by Bella Fortuna » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:23 pm

I can't remember how I discovered her years ago but they are charming little books (based on her real experiences, and I've read that the locals were none too pleased at depictions of them as gormless if loveable yokels) and I was pleased to find a few in a charity shop last visit to Scotland.

redunderthebed
Commie Bastard

Post by redunderthebed » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:32 pm

That book i mentioned is just simply inspiring i'm glad i'm reading it. 8-)

I'm under strict instructions by my sis to read the great gatsby for some reason. :think:

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:52 pm

JimC wrote:
Wow!

My mum was a huge fan of the Lillian Beckwith books - I've got most of 'em here!

I've only read the one pictured ... came across it again while packing my books yesterday and thought I should like to read it again. I'll keep an eye out for others by the author.
no fences

Bella Fortuna
Sister Golden Hair

Post by Bella Fortuna » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:24 pm

RiverF wrote:
JimC wrote:
Wow!

I've only read the one pictured ... came across it again while packing my books yesterday and thought I should like to read it again. I'll keep an eye out for others by the author.
I'd only previously read "About My Father's Shop" which is a childhood memoir, not one in the Hebridean series, and I remember liking it enough to Google her and found the rest and put them on my mental 'must find' list. I really liked the one above and am looking forward to reading the rest.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:53 pm

I don't know how I have managed to get to my age and not read it before, but I downloaded The Great Gatsby a couple of days ago and I am reading and enjoying that!

How odd I never got around to it before now!

anna09
Book Nerd

Post by anna09 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:02 pm

Rum wrote:I don't know how I have managed to get to my age and not read it before, but I downloaded The Great Gatsby a couple of days ago and I am reading and enjoying that!

How odd I never got around to it before now!
I just started and finished it on tuesday and I loved it! It was a nice surprise because I really didn't like This Side of Paradise. :cheers: