What are you reading now? (Chapter 2)

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Re: What are you reading now? (Chapter 2)

Post by Animavore » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:23 pm

Kindle makes reading books simultaneously easy and fun :swoon:

Currently cycling through these, chapter for chapter...

Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well
About me: Move along. Nothing to see here.

Post by rasetsu » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:35 pm

I recently acquired an electronic copy of Iris Murdoch's Nuns and Soldiers, one of my all time favorite novels. I hope to reread it sometime this year (reading number 4).

Currently reading Steven Pinker's Better Angels Of Our Nature, and I'm only a few pages into the preface, but am pleasantly surprised by the high calibre and edibility of his writing.

I read one Pinker book before, long ago, and hated it. I'm looking forward to all 700 pages of this, but wish he could have condensed it just a little more.

My humanist group is reading Nonbeliever Nation: The Rise of Secular Americans, which is good — and chock full of facts and arguments sure to warm the cockles of any atheist's heart — but the writing itself is a little uninspired. I'm about halfway through it.

I'll be reading part 3 of Hume's Treatise for another group, as well as finishing the latter half of Damasio's Self Comes To Mind for another. One book club is reading the Henrietta Lacks book, but seem to be neglecting to schedule the actual book discussion, so I'm deferring reading that until something gets scheduled. Beyond that, in January I have Jane Austen's Emma, as well as desiring to get some personal reading done (especially a book by Steven Collins, Selfless Persons, about the Buddhist doctrine of Anatta and related matters, as well as the final cycle of the Thomas Covenant the Unbliever Chronicles, which I just discovered; alas, I have no discipline when it comes to reading for personal reasons).

Cormac

Post by Cormac » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:09 am

rasetsu wrote:I recently acquired an electronic copy of Iris Murdoch's Nuns and Soldiers, one of my all time favorite novels. I hope to reread it sometime this year (reading number 4).

Currently reading Steven Pinker's Better Angels Of Our Nature, and I'm only a few pages into the preface, but am pleasantly surprised by the high calibre and edibility of his writing.

I read one Pinker book before, long ago, and hated it. I'm looking forward to all 700 pages of this, but wish he could have condensed it just a little more.

My humanist group is reading Nonbeliever Nation: The Rise of Secular Americans, which is good — and chock full of facts and arguments sure to warm the cockles of any atheist's heart — but the writing itself is a little uninspired. I'm about halfway through it.

I'll be reading part 3 of Hume's Treatise for another group, as well as finishing the latter half of Damasio's Self Comes To Mind for another. One book club is reading the Henrietta Lacks book, but seem to be neglecting to schedule the actual book discussion, so I'm deferring reading that until something gets scheduled. Beyond that, in January I have Jane Austen's Emma, as well as desiring to get some personal reading done (especially a book by Steven Collins, Selfless Persons, about the Buddhist doctrine of Anatta and related matters, as well as the final cycle of the Thomas Covenant the Unbliever Chronicles, which I just discovered; alas, I have no discipline when it comes to reading for personal reasons).

I love every Thomas Covenant book. Huge favourites when I was a teenager.
FUCKERPUNKERSHIT!

Wanna buy some pegs Dave, I've got some pegs here...
You're my wife now!

Cormac

Post by Cormac » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:09 am

Oops. Soweeee!
FUCKERPUNKERSHIT!

You're my wife now!

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:11 am

That Eye, The Sky ...Tin Winton....Aussie to the core mate. :tup:
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"

Post by FBM » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:12 am

The 7 Sins of Memory
"Memory itself is an internal rumour." --George Santayana

The word rumour captures an aspect of memory perfectly. When we delve backwards, moments never return in their original clarity; they return as rumours of the original event. Faces have been switched, names deleted, words edited - sometimes it's as though we weren't even there.

Psychologists have found that right from the moment an event occurs, is laid down in memory (or not), to the moment we try to retrieve it (or can't), our minds are fallible. Harvard psychologist Professor Daniel L. Schacter has classified memory's slips, ambiguities and downright lies into the 'seven sins of memory': transience, absent-mindedness, blocking, misattribution, suggestibility, bias and persistence (Schacter, 1999).

But despite these 'sins', we still get by. Memory is what makes us who we are. Practically it enables us to function in everyday life. Without it we would be lost, like those with severe amnesia who can't remember who they are or achieve even the simplest of tasks. So how can memory's fallibility be reconciled with its abilities?

This series of posts explores these sins and in turn uncovers some bizarre stories as well as shedding light on everyday occurrences. The surprise is that many sins of memory have a redeeming feature; sometimes the very sin itself is the flipside of one of memory's saintly qualities, one we couldn't do without.
1.How Quickly We Forget: The Transience of Memory
2.Absent-Mindedness: A Blessing in Disguise?
3.On the Tip-of-the-Tongue: Blocked Memories
4.How Memories are Distorted or Invented: Misattribution
5.When Suggestibility is a Liability: Wrongful Convictions ■Wrongful Conviction: 50% of Mistaken Eyewitnesses Certain After Positive Feedback
■Implanting False Memories: Lost in the Mall & Paul Ingram
■Therapists Can Implant False Beliefs and Memories

6.How the Consistency Bias Warps Our Personal and Political Memories
7.The Persistence of Memory
I've only got as far as the first 'chapter,' but it looks like not only an easy read, but an interesting one. http://www.spring.org.uk/2008/02/7-sins ... -guide.php
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

amused
amused
About me: Reinvention phase initiated

Post by amused » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:48 pm

I just finished Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde having never read it before. I was curious to see if she used some symbolism that also shows up in Fight Club. Yep. Dr. Jekyll lives in a house with so many rooms that it's hard to tell where his house leaves off and another begins. Some of it is in disrepair. Mr. Hyde enters through the cellar. In Fight Club there is a scene where the main character descends into the flooded basement, struggles with the electrical panel, then gives up and retreats. He's provoked uncontrollable forces from below, the subconscious. Both stories are about reconciling the Shadow and Self.

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:52 pm

The Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman. Borrowed from a friend :read:
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:59 pm

Pattern Recognition by William Gibson,
and Peter Straub's Koko
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Cormac

Post by Cormac » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:53 am

Antifragility by Nassim Nicholas Taleb.
FUCKERPUNKERSHIT!

You're my wife now!

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:54 am

Death in the Dark Continent...Capstick
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

Kristie
Elastigirl
About me: From there to here, and here to there, funny things are everywhere!

Post by Kristie » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:29 am

The evaluations hubby just wrote for the employees he's over. Gotta check an make sure his English is gud!
We danced.

redunderthebed
Commie Bastard
About me: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate and wine in each hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Post by redunderthebed » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:04 am

Noam Chomsky 9-11 was there an alternative?

Just read it it is awesome if you want a different view on war on terror and 9-11 in a pretty accessible format (it's a collection of essays and newspaper interviews) i highly recommend it.

Now to find all his other books and read them (he recommend them all in his recommended reading list :hehe: ). :ab:
Trolldor wrote:Ahh cardinal Pell. He's like a monkey after a lobotomy and three lines of cocaine.
The Pope was today knocked down at the start of Christmas mass by a woman who hopped over the barriers. The woman was said to be, "Mentally unstable."

Which is probably why she went unnoticed among a crowd of Christians.
Cormac wrote: One thing of which I am certain. The world is a better place with you in it. Stick around please. The universe will eventually get around to offing all of us. No need to help it in its efforts...

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:31 am

Satanic Verses
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Cormac

Post by Cormac » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:51 am

redunderthebed wrote:Noam Chomsky 9-11 was there an alternative?

Just read it it is awesome if you want a different view on war on terror and 9-11 in a pretty accessible format (it's a collection of essays and newspaper interviews) i highly recommend it.

Now to find all his other books and read them (he recommend them all in his recommended reading list :hehe: ). :ab:
His analysis, in my view is very insightful.

In general, his solutions are for the birds. Well, particularly his economic ideas.
FUCKERPUNKERSHIT!

You're my wife now!