What are you reading now? (Chapter 2)

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: What are you reading now? (Chapter 2)

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:04 pm

Barefoot in the Head by Brian Aldiss. This time I'm going to get to the end, I really am.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

tattuchu
a dickload of cocks
About me: I'm having trouble with the trolley.

Post by tattuchu » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:05 pm

Another Pratchett Discworld novel.
People think "queue" is just "q" followed by 4 silent letters.

But those letters are not silent.

They're just waiting their turn.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:18 pm

starting to reread Vance's Demon Princes saga.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:49 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:Barefoot in the Head by Brian Aldiss. This time I'm going to get to the end, I really am.
Page 70. And relax....
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:40 am

Śiva wrote:I swapped out Foucault for Firestone: The Dialectic of Sex. She presents a neat quote from Simone de Beauvoir in the first chapter:
The theory of historical materialism has brought to light some important truths. Humanity is not only an animal species, it is a historical reality. Human society is an antiphysis - in a sense it is against nature; it does not passively submit to the presence of nature but rather takes over the control of nature on its own behalf. This arrogation is not an inward, subjective operation; it is accomplished objectively in practical action.
Good stuff.
Fixed...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:42 pm

Well she did write it in 1949. Here's something from Firestone herself (also good stuff):
With the cultural portrayal of the smallest details of existence (e.g., deodorizing one's underarms), the distance between one's experience and one's perceptions of it becomes enlarged by a vast interpretive network; if our direct experience contradicts its interpretation by this ubiquitous cultural network, the experience must be denied. This process, of course, does not apply only to women. The pervasion of image has so deeply altered our very relationships to ourselves that even men have become objects - if never erotic objects. Images become extensions of oneself; it gets hard to distinguish the real person from his latest image, if indeed the Person Underneath hasn't evaporated altogether.
You might be tempted to think she's describing modern social media, but that was written in 1970.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:03 pm

The notion of a real self is problematic. But I would say that, wouldn't I? :tea:

edit - that was interesting : :D
Imagine that. I guess it's only coincidental that you'd already be the perfect citizen in the ideal world you're selling.

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:49 pm

It's an interesting book. The last fifth is kind of 'out there' going on about a possible 'cybernetic' communism of the future, but that aside it was a good read.

Now onto The Sexual Revolution: Toward a Self-Regulating Character Structure by Wilhelm Reich

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:19 pm

Read a lot of Jack Vance in my sci-fi reading phase several decades gone now. Less serious than Asimov or Clarke. Still had a talent for ideas though. At present perusing a Oxford Dictionary of English Folklore. Amazing what people get upto in the remote regions of this land.
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:19 pm

Read a lot of Jack Vance in my sci-fi reading phase several decades gone now. Less serious than Asimov or Clarke. Still had a talent for ideas though. At present perusing a Oxford Dictionary of English Folklore. Amazing what people get upto in the remote regions of this land.
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:43 pm

The biological needs - food and sexual pleasure - create the necessity for the social community of men. The conditions of production thus created by community change the basic needs, without, however, destroying them, and also create new needs. The transformed and newly created needs in turn determine the further development of production and its means (tools and machines), and, along with them, the social and economic relations among men. Based on these conditions of production, certain ideas about life, morals, philosophy, etc., develop. They generally correspond to the level of technology at a particular time, i.e., to the ability to comprehend and master life. The social "ideology" thus created forms the human structure and is turned into a material force to be preserved in that structure as "tradition." Now, everything depends on whether the whole society or only a small minority participates in the formation of the social ideology. If a minority holds political power, then it also determines the type and content of the general ideology and the formation of human structure.
From the preface to the 1936 edition of The Sexual Revolution by Wilhelm Reich.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:09 pm

The 3rd edition? What is often referred to as The 3rd Reich.

Frank Zappa

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:28 pm

:hehe: It's the fourth edition sadly.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:47 am

Shame, you coulda had a bit of fun with that: "I'm really enjoying my book at the moment. You know, the more I get into the 3rd Reich the more I like it..."

:whistle:

Frank Zappa

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:02 pm

Interesting tidbit from it, saturated in Freudian Oedipal stuff, but still pretty good:
Thus, the family has a dual political function:

1. It reproduces itself by crippling people sexually. By maintaining the patriarchal family, it also preserves sexual repression and its results: sexual disturbances, neuroses, psychoses, sexual crimes.

2. It produces the authority-fearing, life-fearing vassal, and thus constantly creates new possibilities whereby a handful of men in power can rules the masses.

In this way, the family assumes, in the eyes of conservatives, its special importance as a bulwark of the social order they affirm. This is why it is one of the most strongly defended positions in conservative sexology. For it "maintains the state and the people"--in the reactionary sense. Therefore, evaluating the family may serve us as a yardstick for judging the general nature of social orders.