Hi, I'm Mick

New? Introduce yourself here.
JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: Hi, I'm Mick

Post by JimC » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:41 pm

OK, that's talking goldfish dealt with!

Bring on the gods!
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Mick

Post by Mick » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:19 am

"Mick,

While your defence of homophobia, for example, has always been a cause for concern, latterly the majority of your posts have appeared to the mod team, and to a large number of members, designed specifically to goad your fellow contributors, rather than being merely controversial or combative.
For example, your contributions to the Hello, men. You're all a part of rape culture, "Grow a pair": Mayor's advice to victims of bullying, and Duh-kins 'God Delusion' threads, and posts such as this, this, and this, demonstrate an inclination to deliberately and systematically provoke strong adverse reactions from other members. This is considered trolling. It is unacceptable, and when undertaken over a period of time becomes ever more unacceptable by repetition.
Your banning has not come out of the blue, nor should it be the surprise you suggest: you have been advised on several occasions and have had a number of warnings; you have even been suspended previously, all for very similar kinds of posting. The mod team felt that the possibility of you amending your style was extremely unlikely, in fact you seemed to be pushing the limits even further in the past few months.
This was not an easy decision to make and had been under consideration for some time, but the number and nature of reports you were making against other members suggests you were aware of the fragility of your position. Your claim that you didn't even know you were "at risk" reinforces our decision that your behaviour was unlikely to change and we see no reason to reverse this decision.
The moderation team now considers this matter closed."

I defended homophobia? This mod is something else. This TWOTH feller.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:39 am

Very fussy mods over there; we have a much less sensitive trip wire for mod action...
And my gin!

Mick

Post by Mick » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:10 am

That was more about who was saying it, not what was being said.

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"

Post by FBM » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:16 am

JimC wrote:OK, that's talking goldfish dealt with!

Bring on the gods!
:dis: The evidence for them, that is...
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:27 am

FBM wrote:
JimC wrote:OK, that's talking goldfish dealt with!

Bring on the gods!
:dis: The evidence for them, that is...
We can eat talking goldfish, we can dine on gods! :{D

(I'm getting a little weird, aren't I - it's the medication for my cold... As soon as I get home, I'll combat its strange effects with gin...)
And my gin!

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:29 am

What could possibly go wrong?
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:32 am

FBM wrote:What could possibly go wrong?
Like the time in the 70s when I dropped a tab of acid then ate some magic mushrooms...

Definitely needed a joint to calm things down a little...
And my gin!

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:41 am

:hehe:

Lion IRC

Post by Lion IRC » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:03 am

Well Mick, at least you have a new home here now.
Any of the RS folks who think your posts need public rebuttal can tune in anytime they like.

Mick

Post by Mick » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:56 am

Yup.

Moving on...

orpheus
About me: The name is Epictetus. Waldo Epictetus.

Post by orpheus » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:52 pm

rEvolutionist wrote:When most of the population is uneducated and struggling to survive day to day, it's not surprising that philosophers of the time appeared to be intellectual giants. By today's standards, most of them are pretty pedestrian thinkers.
I agree with the first sentence, but not with the second. Certainly philosophers of the past were less knowledgeable than thinkers of today. But that isn't the same as intelligence or thinking ability. In Cryptonomicon, Neal Stephenson said that the ancient Greeks "though utter shitheads in many ways, were terrifyingly intelligent people". I think he's got a point.

(For example)

orpheus

Post by orpheus » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:56 pm

Svartalf wrote:
Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
Mick wrote:Catholicism boasts some of the West's greatest thinkers, just so you know.
It's easy to boast. :tea:
and a real waste of thinking... just to think what Thomas Aquinas could have accomplished had he done real science rather than glossing on nonsense...
I do like Aquinas on aesthetics; he had some rather profound observations. At least, as filtered through Joyce and put into the mouth of Stephen Dedalus.

(BTW, Happy Bloomsday 2 days late, everyone! :td: )
Last edited by orpheus on Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I think that language has a lot to do with interfering in our relationship to direct experience. A simple thing like metaphor will allows you to go to a place and say 'this is like that'. Well, this isn't like that. This is like this.

—Richard Serra

orpheus

Post by orpheus » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:58 pm

Sorry - just wanted to jump in on those two points. Carry on.
I think that language has a lot to do with interfering in our relationship to direct experience. A simple thing like metaphor will allows you to go to a place and say 'this is like that'. Well, this isn't like that. This is like this.

—Richard Serra