PZ accuses Shermer of rape.

Holy Crap!
DaveDodo007
About me: When ever I behave as a man I am called sexist, It seems being a male is now illegal and nobody sent me the memo. Good job as I would have told them to fuck off.

Re: PZ accuses Shermer of rape.

Post by DaveDodo007 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:38 am

DaveDodo007 wrote:Something for you male hating fembois to chew on.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... d-silence/

P Z Myers says:

"I'm at a loss for words. Elyse was raped. Several times. In different ways.

The world sucks in so many ways, doesn’t it? And I get to float above all of it, buoyed by my wings of privilege."

I'm still gonna tear you a new one but for free speech sake knock yourselves out. :smug:
everyone ignore this as it is just me being a drunken retard again. :fp:

Thanks in advance. :ab:
We should be MOST skeptical of ideas we like because we are sufficiently skeptical of ideas that we don't like. Penn Jillette.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:41 am

Audley Strange wrote:I refuse to encourage Pzombie and his coterie of cunts, any links to FtB will be ignored by me. Plus if that's the same Elyse I think it is I wouldn't be surprised, she seems the sort that think a guy saying hi to you at a party is akin chronic sustained satanic child abuse. People don't tend to get that hypersensitive by choice, something makes them that way.
Getting raped on a number of separate occasions would probably do it.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Audley Strange
"I blame the victim"

Post by Audley Strange » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:48 am

Hermit wrote:
Audley Strange wrote:I refuse to encourage Pzombie and his coterie of cunts, any links to FtB will be ignored by me. Plus if that's the same Elyse I think it is I wouldn't be surprised, she seems the sort that think a guy saying hi to you at a party is akin chronic sustained satanic child abuse. People don't tend to get that hypersensitive by choice, something makes them that way.
Getting raped on a number of separate occasions would probably do it.
Yes, I was trying to be tactful.
"What started as a legitimate effort by the townspeople of Salem to identify, capture and kill those who did Satan's bidding quickly deteriorated into a witch hunt" Army Man

Thinking Aloud
Page Bottomer

Post by Thinking Aloud » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:03 pm

I just got finished serving on a jury for a rape trial, and we didn't use any of PZ's methods to determine our verdict. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that very little in the PZ methodology bears any resemblance to that used in a court of law. :ask: Funny that.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:13 pm

TA, are you saying you didn't summarily convict based on the accusation? What are you, some kind of cisgendered mansplainer!?
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Audley Strange
"I blame the victim"

Post by Audley Strange » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:15 pm

Thinking Aloud wrote:I just got finished serving on a jury for a rape trial, and we didn't use any of PZ's methods to determine our verdict. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that very little in the PZ methodology bears any resemblance to that used in a court of law. :ask: Funny that.
Christ, you have my sympathies, that could not have been pleasant. I have to ask though, was there a conviction?
"What started as a legitimate effort by the townspeople of Salem to identify, capture and kill those who did Satan's bidding quickly deteriorated into a witch hunt" Army Man

Thinking Aloud
Page Bottomer

Post by Thinking Aloud » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:20 pm

No.

Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist
About me: I am sacrificing a turnip as I type.

Post by Pappa » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:58 pm

Thinking Aloud wrote:No.
RAPE ENABLER!!!1!

DaveDodo007
About me: When ever I behave as a man I am called sexist, It seems being a male is now illegal and nobody sent me the memo. Good job as I would have told them to fuck off.

Post by DaveDodo007 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:29 am

Thinking Aloud wrote:No.
BELIEVE THE SURVIVORS ELEVENTY111. :prof:
We should be MOST skeptical of ideas we like because we are sufficiently skeptical of ideas that we don't like. Penn Jillette.

Audley Strange
"I blame the victim"

Post by Audley Strange » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:59 am

Surely rapists are still rape survivors?

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:33 am

Again that joke about the rape helpline, but it was only for victims?
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:41 am

Svartalf wrote:Again that joke about the rape helpline, but it was only for victims?
I know, that's terrible really. It should be for EVERYONE that shares a rape.

:leave:
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

lordpasternack
Divine Knob Twiddler
About me: I have remarkable elbows.

Post by lordpasternack » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:14 pm

Pappa wrote:
Robert_S wrote:I think it might be more of a subtle thing though: thinking up excuses, a tendency to blame the victim (mostly among older people), and perhaps underestimating the danger or the potential to change some men's attitude. I'm hesitant to say those kinds of problems constitute a "rape culture" but they are certainly aspects of our cultures that can and should be addressed.
I agree completely. I think "rape culture" is one of those unfortunate words/phrases that has the potential to do great harm. Like "mansplaining", "patriarchy", "misogyny" and similar, it targets normal people and accuses them of being aggressors or guilty of some terrible crime. Nothing's more likely to make someone switch off to suggestions that there are things about the way they approach culture that could be improved than to tell them they're a heinous, evil, overprivileged, woman-hating rapist... when in fact they're just a regular guy who hasn't really done anything wrong and just lives by the current norms of his culture without really thinking about those norms too deeply.
Yep…

Then they for sudden joy did weep,
And I for sorrow sung,
That such a king should play bo-peep,
And go the fools among.
Prithee, nuncle, keep a schoolmaster that can teach
thy fool to lie: I would fain learn to lie.

Coito ergo sum

Post by Coito ergo sum » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:53 pm

DaveDodo007 wrote:Something for you male hating fembois to chew on.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... d-silence/

P Z Myers says:

"I'm at a loss for words. Elyse was raped. Several times. In different ways.

The world sucks in so many ways, doesn’t it? And I get to float above all of it, buoyed by my wings of privilege."

I'm still gonna tear you a new one but for free speech sake knock yourselves out. :smug:
She wrote --
We have these conversations about rape, conversations that always include a question of “Was the rape reported to the police?” Women are taught that when they get raped, it is our duty to report it. We are obligated to press charges. We must crusade for justice. If the rapist is a real rapist, and he raped someone, it the victim’s duty to stop him.
No. That isn't it. It's not a duty. However, if someone rapes, or beats the shit out of you, or steals your wallet, it is a fair question to ask "did you report it to the police?" when you make a public accusation against a person. If someone said "Obama stole my wallet in 1994." We would definitely ask, "did you report the theft? And, what was the result of the investigation?" That doesn't mean it is a person's "duty" to "crusade for justice." It's just that if you're going to accuse someone of a crime long after the event occurred, and without presenting concrete or corroborating evidence that they did it, a person might reasonably wonder if you did, indeed, report the crime contemporaneously, because IF YOU DID THAT, then it would tend to show that you believed the incident occurred at the time and it is harder for the accused to suggest you're doing it now because you have an ax to grind. And, it is also more believable when an accusation is consistent with contemporaneous statements.
And we think we know what rape looks like. We know there’s bushes or drinks involved. There’s kicking and screaming… or unconsciousness… and the word “NO!” can be heard from the next room or by passersby. And there’s crying. Crying during. Crying after. So. much. crying. And there’s blood. At least SOME blood.
Again, no, she's got it wrong. It's not that there has to be bushes, drinks, kicking, screaming, unconsciousness, "NO!," crying or blood -- it's that those are facts and circumstances that tend to indicate a lack of consent. They are not "necessary" elements, but they are indicative of someone lacking consent. We certainly would infer lack of consent from a crying woman shouting "no!" -- And, we would not infer lack of consent from a woman passionately exclaiming "Yes!" It all depends on the facts and circumstances, of course.

But, this is the thing -- like any assertion, a third party can only evaluate the truth of the assertion based on the given facts. So, even when we are not in a court of law, we can never "know" what really happened. We can only know if the assertion has been supported by evidence we find persuasive. In a court of law, it's even more difficult because there we have legally imposed burdens of proof. So, even having some proof and evidence is not enough. We have to have a very large amount of proof without plausible exonerating explanations.
And we know what to do when you know you’re being raped. If there’s a weapon, you don’t fight. If there’s no weapon, you do. And you make sure you scratch him to get his DNA under your nails. And you don’t shower. And you don’t change. And you go to the hospital. Right away. You’d be irresponsible to wash away evidence.
Again, no. Most everyone understands that assaults, batteries, rapes, kidnappings, and the like are all traumatic experiences and people react to them in different ways. It's not, however, that you have to scratch and have to refrain from showering, and you have to go to the hospital right away. The thing is, if you do scratch, there will be DNA available. If you do refrain from showering, there will be DNA available. If you do go to the hospital right away, there will be a better examination done that is closer to the time of the incident. That helps close off defenses for the accused, who might claim intervening causes of injuries, etc.

This is no different than any other assault crime. If a guy jumps another guy in a bar and starts beating him up, the victim doesn't have to fight back and scratch to get some DNA under his fingernails. But, if the victim does, in fact, do that then the DNA can, in fact, be tested.

I would love it if we didn't need evidence to determine what the truth is about accusations that happened outside of our presence or not videotaped, but unfortunately, there is no other way.

Does this sound like something a police officer would actually say?
Miss Wojnowski?”

“Yes?”

“This is ____ from the Decatur Police Department. Your rape kit came back. No semen was found. Evidently nothing happened. Please let your parents know.”

[click]
If a cop said this, I'd call his supervising officer and also the public affairs department, the chief of police and the mayor. Because if this is what was said it is a dereliction of duty and it would deserve some serious condemnation.
And despite the incident not following my script for how my rape would go down, it follows a pretty standard template. Drunk -> assaulted -> reported -> not believed -> no investigation -> dismissed.
From her story,though, the problem isn't really that she wasn't "believed." It's that there was not sufficient corroborating evidence. She noted that the accused's girlfriend said that the accused could not have done it because he was with her all night and did not go to the party in question. If she told that to the police, and there was no forensic evidence linking the accused to the rape (were the blonde pubic hairs his? Did they find his DNA in the rape kit? - according to Elyse they did not). She doesn't remember the rape. She was tested immediately, and the implication that she was given roofies seems to be incorrect because they would have shown up in the urine testing - rohypnol can be tested in urine up to 3 days later, and she went tot he hospital immediately. Other processes can detect it up to almost a month after ingestion.

So, anyway, we don't have to call Elyse a liar to find reasonable doubt that the specific accused person raped her. For him not to have been arrested seems strange, though. The information given by Elyse does seem to indicate probable cause to arrest. And, contrary to Elyse's implication, men are accused of rape all the time, and quite often it's the men who are not "believed" when they say they did not do it. A high profile case is the Duke rape case where the "Frat boys" were assumed guilty.

Later on she says -

Years later, I was out partying with a group of “friends.” And I was raped.

I know, I know… “But Elyse, if you get raped at parties, shouldn’t you know better than to go?”
O.k. -- look -- who the fuck says that? This seems to be a case of Elyse hearing something that only a few idiots would ever say. Women who don't want to get raped should know better than to go to parties? Nonsense, and I have never in my life heard anyone say anything like that.

I'm sorry but her third story is ridiculous:
Fortunately right then I got my period, for three days, which kept him away. And since it deterred him, I kept a tampon in for a few extra days. I had to accept, though, that I couldn’t fake menstruate forever, and I had to face my fate. I gave in. He’d insist on fucking me several times during the day.
Gist of the third story, which is longer than the blurb I posted -- she was trying to be a model. A photographer invited her to Montana to stay at his house for a few weeks to talk about modeling stuff and do modeling stuff. She went. He hit on her. In the dark room, he put his hand down her pants and she didn't say "no, don't do that" -- she just didn't react positively. He then talked to her about it and she said she had to warm up to such encounters because she had been raped, and he told her to get over it. Instead of leaving, she stayed. Weird. And, then she got her period which she claimed kept him away, and then she pretended to have her period longer, so she's there like another week with this leering, fondling, "get over your rape" guy ready to pounce. He then comes right out and says "if you don't fuck me I won't help you in your modeling career." So, she fucks him. Several times a day. But, she doesn't enjoy it.
So I started faking it. I started to believe him. I started hoping that maybe his wife would put this into perspective. But she was so enthusiastic about it, I was sure I was the one who was wrong. Maybe I was just puritanical like he said. Maybe I just didn’t get things about grownup sex. He told me that I was naive and sheltered to believe that he couldn’t have sex with me because he was married. His wife was obviously fine with it. It didn’t matter if I was or not. He was. She was. I was being a baby. And I didn’t know what was good for me. If I wasn’t going to fuck my way to the top, I was never going to get there. And I here I was, still at subbasement 12, metaphorically speaking, not even willing to fuck my way out of Billings, Montana
At this point, I knew this was the definition of sexual harassment in the workplace. You can’t just threaten someone’s career if they don’t fuck you––but this wasn’t really a normal workplace and for some reason I had a hard time admitting that sucking on someone’s crotch who asked you specifically, clearly and indisputably not to was beyond “harassment” and was actually assault.
Eventually I convinced myself that this wasn’t really a consensual thing.
Quick question. If she had to convince herself that it wasn't really a consensual thing, and that occurred "eventually" then how would the accused be expected to know immediately?

And another description by Elyse of a rape --
Please, no.” I whispered. But he was putting on a condom.rape

At that point, I knew there was nothing I could say or do to stop him. So I stopped stopping him and I said yes.

And that’s where I convinced myself I consented. As I drove home, I asked myself, “What happened? Was I just raped? No… I said yes. I did say yes. I said yes. I said yes.”
How about "knock it the fuck off! I don't consent! Stop!"

whispered "please no?" Whisper? And, then you say "yes?" You didn't just let it happen, you SAID yes?
By the time he was coming at me with a condom on his cock, what would another “no” have done?
This I don't get. And, I fully acknowledge that I probably need some good education from women. But, a firm "stop it -- I don't want this -- NO!" loudly with a push -- wouldn't that work with the vast majority of guys? Maybe not. I don't even need that in order to be held on second or third. All I need is the third base coach to give me the signal, and I'll stick to the base I'm on. So, I don't know.

it just seems to me that if someone was going to stick something in me that I didn't want there, I'd fucking make it damn clear that I didn't want to be stuck. How about yelling it. No!!! Don't do this to me! ?
So I didn’t go to the police. What was I going to report? That I just consented to having sex with some guy? I couldn’t even convince myself I’d been raped.
If you can't even convince yourself that you'd been raped, then it's pretty hard to prove rape. I mean, an essential element of rape is lack of consent. If you can't even convince yourself that you didn't actually consent, then how can you convince 12 people who weren't there to tell you that you did not not consent, whether you're convinced you consented or not?
But rape doesn’t always follow the script. And we live in a culture that apologizes for rapey behaviors. If a woman says no, she sometimes means yes. You should never give up trying to get a woman to give you her affection. Women have internalized these messages. We often can’t recognize these attacks for what they ar
Fair enough. We know that. Rape comes in many forms. But, what can we do about it if a woman doesn't recognize that she was raped? Tell her "whether you think you consented or not, you clearly did not really consent?"

So, she goes on to suggest a new "script" - a new definition for what we will consider rape:
And maybe a script that goes like this

Partner: [not enthusiastic]

You: [moves on to a non-sexual activity]
http://skepchick.org/2013/08/when-i-did ... y-i-didnt/

There are more than a few problems with this.

Let's start with the evidence nonsensical character of a definition of rape that is "if the woman is not 'enthusiastic' about fucking you, then it's rape." I mean, really? It's now up to the guy to judge the level of enthusiasm a woman has? LOL.

And, how does this even help the question of "being believed." There is going to be more proof around of "lack of enthusiasm" than "lack of consent?" This is what Elyse says is the solution? Well, we can't get people to believe that women who didn't know whether or not they consented to sex were actually raped, so let's just make change the question into whether those same women fucked with requisite "enthusiasm." If they just let the guy do it, then he's a rapist. If she howled at the moon, then it's fine.

Coito ergo sum

Post by Coito ergo sum » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:53 pm

dooplickit post.