PZ accuses Shermer of rape.

Holy Crap!
mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Re: PZ accuses Shermer of rape.

Post by mistermack » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:24 pm

I've been raped.

If no means no, then I've been raped. By an ex girlfriend. I said no and didn't participate. But I made no attempt to resist. I just said no, and let it happen.

Was that real rape? Was it bollocks !
But women do that all the time, they say no, but don't resist, and we are supposed to accept it as rape.
It would obviously be different between strangers, or with the threat of violence.

But I suspect that a lot of women do exactly what I did, and later say to themselves, "hey, that was technically rape".
Personally, I found it sexy, I enjoyed it, and the fact that I still remember it says something.

The other thing that some women do, is mysteriously "fall asleep" before the man gets into bed, when both of them are a bit drunk. I've had that happen myself, and always stopped there, but I know men who have just carried on regardless.

Maybe Shermer was involved in one of the above. Or maybe PZ made it up.
Theres no way of knowing, and I certainly wouldn't take Myers' word for it.
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.

Daedalus

Post by Daedalus » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:40 pm

mistermack wrote:I've been raped.

If no means no, then I've been raped. By an ex girlfriend. I said no and didn't participate. But I made no attempt to resist. I just said no, and let it happen.

Was that real rape? Was it bollocks !
But women do that all the time, they say no, but don't resist, and we are supposed to accept it as rape.
It would obviously be different between strangers, or with the threat of violence.

But I suspect that a lot of women do exactly what I did, and later say to themselves, "hey, that was technically rape".
Personally, I found it sexy, I enjoyed it, and the fact that I still remember it says something.

The other thing that some women do, is mysteriously "fall asleep" before the man gets into bed, when both of them are a bit drunk. I've had that happen myself, and always stopped there, but I know men who have just carried on regardless.

Maybe Shermer was involved in one of the above. Or maybe PZ made it up.
Theres no way of knowing, and I certainly wouldn't take Myers' word for it.
:tea:

A fascinating insight into what passes for a mind.
"A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence." (David Hume)
"The map is not the territory." (Alfred Korzybski)
"Atque in perpetuum frater, ave atque vale." (Catullus)
“You’re in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on its back, struggling, and you’re not helping — why is that?” (Bladerunner)

Bella Fortuna
Sister Golden Hair
About me: Being your slave, what should I do but tend
Upon the hours and times of your desire?
I have no precious time at all to spend,
Nor services to do, till you require.

Post by Bella Fortuna » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:35 am

lordpasternack wrote:
Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
hackenslash wrote:I was talking about generally, not here. This is one of the few places in which one bandwagon or another hasn't been jumped on. I originally posted this on FB, then on Ratskep, then here.

Apologies. I should have made that clearer.
we cool. :paco:
Which is odd, since I thought we were supposed to be a nest of vipers… :ask:
Nest of cockroaches, according to the great man himself! :prof:
Sent from my Bollocksberry using Crapatalk.
Food, cooking, and disreputable nonsense: http://miscreantsdiner.blogspot.com/

Calilasseia
Butterfly
Butterfly
About me: Destroyer of canards, and merciless shredder of bad ideas. :twisted:

Post by Calilasseia » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:59 am

But of course, cockroaches are more likely to survive a nuking than PZ ...

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:14 am

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
lordpasternack wrote:Here's something I posted on Facebook and will repost here just for the sake of it:

Imagine if it were an adult coming forward to report that they'd been sexually abused by a named priest, as a child…

Do you think the skeptic community would be so apoplectic about the apparent lack of substance, and everything else, about the story presented?

Rightly or wrongly, I think they'd show very different standards in that case, which would be fascinating to see.
This is a bad analogy.

The woman didn't come forward. She told her tale to one person (Purple Zigzag) that decided unilaterally to go public on her behalf (or was urged to by her - either way, the woman was not prepared to reveal her name.) So, if I may adjust your analogy a little...
It's apparently worse than that. She told the tale to her friend who told the tale to Pizzy.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:55 am

rEvolutionist wrote:
Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
lordpasternack wrote:Here's something I posted on Facebook and will repost here just for the sake of it:

Imagine if it were an adult coming forward to report that they'd been sexually abused by a named priest, as a child…

Do you think the skeptic community would be so apoplectic about the apparent lack of substance, and everything else, about the story presented?

Rightly or wrongly, I think they'd show very different standards in that case, which would be fascinating to see.
This is a bad analogy.

The woman didn't come forward. She told her tale to one person (Purple Zigzag) that decided unilaterally to go public on her behalf (or was urged to by her - either way, the woman was not prepared to reveal her name.) So, if I may adjust your analogy a little...
It's apparently worse than that. She told the tale to her friend who told the tale to Pizzy.
Third or fourth-hand hearsay? PZ's totally fucked.
"Seth is Grandmaster Zen Troll who trains his victims to troll themselves every time they think of him" Robert_S

"All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Those who support denying anyone the right to keep and bear arms for personal defense are fully complicit in every crime that might have been prevented had the victim been effectively armed." Seth

© 2013/2014/2015/2016 Seth, all rights reserved. No reuse, republication, duplication, or derivative work is authorized.

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:56 am

I thought the friend corroborated her story. So.. she told her friend who told PZ who published it and it was then later corroborated by yet another friend?

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:59 am

It's a bit murky. Something about a friend's sister's hairdresser's cousin's ex-wife who overheard it in the grocery store. Something like that.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Robert_S
Cookie Monster
About me: Too young to die of boredom, too old to grow up.

Post by Robert_S » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:00 am

Făkünamę wrote:I thought the friend corroborated her story. So.. she told her friend who told PZ who published it and it was then later corroborated by yet another friend?
That's how I read it.
What I've found with a few discussions I've had lately is this self-satisfaction that people express with their proffessed open mindedness. In realty it ammounts to wilful ignorance and intellectual cowardice as they are choosing to not form any sort of opinion on a particular topic. Basically "I don't know and I'm not going to look at any evidence because I'm quite happy on this fence."
-Mr P

The Net is best considered analogous to communication with disincarnate intelligences. As any neophyte would tell you. Do not invoke that which you have no facility to banish.
Audley Strange

DaveDodo007
About me: When ever I behave as a man I am called sexist, It seems being a male is now illegal and nobody sent me the memo. Good job as I would have told them to fuck off.

Post by DaveDodo007 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:16 am

Seth wrote:
rEvolutionist wrote:
Xamonas Chegwé wrote:

This is a bad analogy.

Third or fourth-hand hearsay? PZ's totally fucked.
It's even worse than that as the story so far is Shermer kept filling her glass (with wine) after she emptied it. :shock:
We should be MOST skeptical of ideas we like because we are sufficiently skeptical of ideas that we don't like. Penn Jillette.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:18 am

DaveDodo007 wrote: It's even worse than that as the story so far is Shermer kept filling her glass (with wine) after she emptied it. :shock:
I know, the fucking nerve of that perverted bastard.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:21 am

Robert_S wrote:
Făkünamę wrote:I thought the friend corroborated her story. So.. she told her friend who told PZ who published it and it was then later corroborated by yet another friend?
That's how I read it.
The letter from the Shermernator said that Pizzy has been diddling with the "facts" on his blog. It was originally written that the friend of the alleged victim told Pizzy, but it was later edited to say that the victim told Pizzy. Maybe the initial account was how it originally happened, but after that the alleged victim contacted Pizz herself?
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Cormac

Post by Cormac » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:15 am

Bella Fortuna wrote:
lordpasternack wrote:
Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
hackenslash wrote:I was talking about generally, not here. This is one of the few places in which one bandwagon or another hasn't been jumped on. I originally posted this on FB, then on Ratskep, then here.

Apologies. I should have made that clearer.
we cool. :paco:
Which is odd, since I thought we were supposed to be a nest of vipers… :ask:
Nest of cockroaches, according to the great man himself! :prof:
FUCKERPUNKERSHIT!

Wanna buy some pegs Dave, I've got some pegs here...
You're my wife now!

rachelbean
"awesome."
About me: I'm a nerd.

Post by rachelbean » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:10 pm

The full cease and desist letter can be read here:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/159838891/she ... ter-to-pzm
lordpasternack wrote:Yeah - I fuckin' love oppressin' ma wimmin, like I love chowin' on ma bacon and tuggin' on ma ol' cock… ;)
Pappa wrote:God is a cunt! I wank over pictures of Jesus! I love Darwin so much I'd have sex with his bones!!!!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:11 pm

Yeah, that's the old one. There must be a new one due soon. Get on with it, Shermer! :lay: